Three new bird friends!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChaosTheory, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    As of late we've had many drakes and few hens, so there have been some changes made to our flock hierarchy. We sold one drake to a boy who shows sheep and wanted a friend for his female pekin, and we traded one for three birds [​IMG] Two new ducks and one new chicken!

Our first duck is a runner (we think mix with rouen) who looks like it got a little picked on by the other ducks it was with, which would explain it's tough personality.

[​IMG]
    They sexed it in front of us and said it was a girl, so I'm really hopeful, but the band around it's next has got me worried, isn't that typical of drakes? Anywho, it's still to young to tell by it's voice, so only time will tell ^_^ It currently lacks a name.

[​IMG]
    This little duckling is my new pride and joy. She's the cutest nicest little duckling I've ever met! I love love love her. We chose the smallest muscovy to be sure she was a girl. This is our first time muscovy, what can you guys tell be about them/her (aside from the fact that 1) they can fly really well when they're older 2) if they interbreed the babies will be sterile and 3) they are very quiet and excellent fly catchers).
    [​IMG]

Finally, we got a new chicken as well [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's smaller than our chickens, and they really don't like her, so we're keeping her with the ducks until she gets big enough to defend herself.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Excellent score and beautiful birds... even the chicken!

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I'm seeing some of those blue-laced-red (or is it the otherway?) feathers in your Runner that I just LOVE! and she (fingers crossed) does appear to have some of those striking Rouen markings.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    How are these guys doing? Can we get some updated pictures?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  5. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    the duck in the second picture looks lovely !!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

6. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Are female duck has a white ring around her neck!!and she is a Female 100% sure!!! Very cute i want more ducks, well crested Ducks!! [​IMG]

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Agreed! I love scovies [​IMG]

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They're adorable & thew scovy is really pretty! that chicken is marked really neatly, its tail looks like a rooster's though [​IMG]

9. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Quote:THANK YOU! Gosh, that puts me at ease. Your's has the same eyes as mine, they're so big! And yeah, our new scovy is the apple of my eye [​IMG]

Also, I know for certain the chicken is a girl, it's a partridge chantecler for our lone roo (wouldn't have gotten anymore chickens if it wasn't, we have too many as it [​IMG]).

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive noticed that whenever you cross a light colored duck ( F/w runner, buff, saxony ) to a Mallard or Rouen you get that coloring, the red laced blue. All my ducklings are laced and I love it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by