Three new chicks from Meyer--love love love them!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firsthouse_mp, Nov 17, 2010.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Meyer shipped my Silver Spangled Hamburg chicks on Monday and by 8am today, I had picked them up from post office and had them home. All three made it in their little box and I had no packing peanuts! Yeah!

After three months, they will join my other 6 hens. This is our third group of three, so I think I am maxed out with regard to our coop. I had wanted a few white egg layers since I have brown layers (BR, RIR) and blue/green layers (EEers). Now if only I had enough room for some Marans [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The flock:
    [​IMG]

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Its always fun to get new additions to the flock.
    Collecting a nest full of different colored eggs is even more fun.

3. Meyer Hatchery

Meyer Hatchery Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    Happy to see everyone made it safely! Enjoy [​IMG]

4. firsthouse_mp

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    LOST ONE TODAY [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Couldn't see the pasty but or anything in particular. She was semi-lethargic this morning and I tried to force her to drink, but she was reluctant. I am not sure what happened. Hopping around fine yesterday when she arrived and gone today.

The other two are stellar and I mixed some yogurt with crumble and they LOVED that. I also ran down to the local feed store, and while I hadn't really wanted brown egg layers since we already have those, I added two to my remaining two (sorta insurance to make sure we had three that made it!). My son's chick was the one that died and I didn't want him to be left without his pet.

So now we have a Golden Laced Wyandotte and a Silver Laced Wyandotte also....just in case. Raising chicks can be traumatic!

5. fc

fc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    Good story. I HATE it when little chicks die!

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    How do you order them? Do you have to call?

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I didn't know Meyer did small orders???? They are gorgeously colored chicks!!! Sorry one didn't make it [​IMG]

8. Meyer Hatchery

Meyer Hatchery Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    Oh, we hate hearing that! So sorry for your loss. We will certainly credit you for that loss if you call in. I know it doesn't make up for the loss of life, but at least you can get your money back.

We DO offer small orders, and have for quite sometime now. We can ship as few as 3 baby chicks anywhere in the US. In fact, we are now offering the same small order of just 3 on duck orders!

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Looks like a backyard flock, how pretty.
    Keep in mind the breed you just got are considered very flighty.
    How do you hope to keep them home?

10. firsthouse_mp

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I've heard the Hamburgs are flighty. We will just hope that are neighbors are fine with our hens. Right now they sometimes fly over and visit, but so far, they always come home when I yell, "Chick chick chick". Have never had a problem with it. I also always leave their treats until the late afternoon, so they know that at about 4pm, they come to the run/coop and there will be goodies. Hoping the Hamburgs will go along with the flock [​IMG] I have been spending a lot of time holding them to make sure that they are very used to us -- sort of "imprinting" that I am their happy, food-giving friend, so they will be fairly tame.

My other two Hamburgs are so strong and really running around the brooder! The first day addition of the other two Wyandottes has gone very smoothly. I knew I had to do it right away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by