THREE OFA excellent in one litter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I see you have 5 listed there? But what does this all mean?

I've never delved into dog breeding, only adopted the ones who've found me. I love seeing your work, so is there an explanation of the chart and what it means?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Congrats, good work!

3. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Ranchhand, the OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) is a registry and data base for health testing information. They keep numerous data bases for various health related issues.

Conscientious breeders use this public data base to display the health testing information on their dogs. The OFA also does hip and elbow screening on dogs.

What you are looking at on that link is the record of the mother of my 2007 litter. You can first see her health testing results. Next are the results of her sire and dam, and then below that are the results for her progeny that have been screened so far.

With this tool, breeders can research potential breeding partners, and look at the data behind these dogs, in order to plan breedings that will produce healthy dogs.

Does this answer your questions? If not, ask away and I will explain more. [​IMG]

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Congrats!!! That is great that they are all doing so well.

5. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful! Does your breed participate in CHIC?

6. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Congrats! Any Rottie breeders using pennhip?

7. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Some do use Penn Hip, however, the National Club requires OFA hip clearance before breeding.

8. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

QuailHollowP&P :

Wonderful! Does your breed participate in CHIC?

Congrats:
    REDYRE WEAPON OF CHOICE
    REDYRE CHOICE V ETERNAL MOON​

9. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Yes, as noted above. [​IMG]

For CHIC the Rottweiler requires hip, elbow, eye, and heart screening. Redyre Choice Mahalo Bro will have his elbows done as soon as I get finished kicking his co-owners butt for not doing it when he had the hips done. [​IMG] Milton will complete his health testing early in 2010 as well. He has a nice girl coming to visit him this spring.

Redyre Choice of a Lifetime will have her CHIC after the first of the year, and a couple more will be done during 2010.

I do not use for breeding any animal that has not had all this health screening done.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by