three out of 13 chicks dead this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by possumblossum, Jun 19, 2010.

1. possumblossum

possumblossum Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Blount Co., TN
    I have 13 chicks in a 100 gallon cow trough with pine bedding. All of the chicks are from the same clutch, hatched three weeks ago, in ,my incubator, from my hens. This morning I went to feed and water everyone and three of the chicks were dead. They were laying in the middle of coop with no signs of distress (nothing had gotten into the trough). Two of the chicks showed no signs of physical ailment, but one had a drop of very dark, runny stool on its wing.

[​IMG]

I found this puddle of bloody stool near one of the other chicks

[​IMG]

Yesterday evening we had them out playing under this apple tree for a few hours. We've been taking them to this location daily since they were a week old. I don't see anything that could have caused them a problem

[​IMG]

There are only two budding plants anywhere near the tree, so I've posted pics of the plants and buds in case they may be the culprit

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I only feed Layena pellets and have seen no signs of trouble from any other chicks...these were fine when we put them back up last night. Please tell me what I've done wrong.

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

i dont know *bump*

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
  4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Songster

Probably cocci.
    You're feeding 3 week old chicks Layena pellets? They should be on chick starter. Layena is a layer feed and contains too much calcium for young chicks to use. I believe it's the liver that is affected by too much calcium in young chicks. I could be wrong about which organ it is.
    I would begin Corid treatment for cocci right away.

5. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    I read and reread that post and I don't think it says she was feeding layena? I'm confused? Are you feeding the babies layena or chick starter? Just want to make sure we're all on the same page so you get the right advice that's all.[​IMG]

6. rainierlass

rainierlass Songster

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I don't think it says she was feeding layena?

^^^^^^^^^^ Look at the line right under the picture

Sry I am new to chicks but yes you definitely need to feed starter crumbles - - can't see

how those levels of calcium could be good for them​

7. possumblossum

possumblossum Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Blount Co., TN
    Quote:^^^^^^^^^^ Look at the line right under the picture

Sry I am new to chicks but yes you definitely need to feed starter crumbles - - can't see

how those levels of calcium could be good for them

My apologies, I was just typing in a hurry....I am feeding Start & Grow crumbles, Layena is only used with my older birds.

So, it appears to be Cocci....I went to the TSC and they only had bovine amprol. The folks there gave me Duramyacin-10 as a broad spectrum treatment. I haven't been able to find amprol/cordi anywhere around here.

8. fiberart57

fiberart57 Songster

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I think that you can use the bovine amprolium - mix it in their water. I don't know the dosage but a search should turn up the answer. I think, but I'm not sure, that it's around 2 tbsps per gallon of water. However, the Chicken Health Handbook says to give 1/3 of the dosage in hot weather because they'll drink more. Then she says to give a run of vitamins after the medication.

Duramycin is an antibiotic and of little effectiveness with cocci which is a parasite.

I'm with those who say to feed medicated feed. Purina Start and Grow comes in both medicated and non-medicated; get the medicated.

Good luck,
    Mary

9. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Duramycin will not work!!! I'd not wait around to find Corid (which at TSC would be near the livestock meds) or Sulmet...if you can't find it near you...order it ASAP...I lost ALOT of chicks thinking I would have time to find the med...

10. possumblossum

possumblossum Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Blount Co., TN
    I think that you can use the bovine amprolium - mix it in their water. I don't know the dosage but a search should turn up the answer. I think, but I'm not sure, that it's around 2 tbsps per gallon of water. However, the Chicken Health Handbook says to give 1/3 of the dosage in hot weather because they'll drink more. Then she says to give a run of vitamins after the medication.

Everything at our TSC and Co-op is for cattle. The problem is the dosage conversion they are all based on 25/50/100 gallons.....I'm doing college algebra to try and figure how many thimbles to pour in a gallon of water...

Thank you to everyone for your timely responses...

I'll keep posting with updates.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: