Three out of Seven Laying??

urbanabanana

Songster
7 Years
Mar 14, 2016
Upper Chichester, PA
Hi y'all, I haven't posted here in awhile but I have a question...
Earlier this year my cousin and I added six new hens to our flock. Our previous flock had died out except for one, for various and vague reasons we couldn't identify... The girl we have left from the original group, Frances, is a beautiful Cream Legbar who lays greenish-blue eggs.
Anyhow, our six new girls are all seven months old, and only three of them are laying-- our Cherry Egger, Renee, our Barred Plymouth Rock, Polly, and our Buff Orpington, Joanne.
The young three, a Salmon Faverolle (Sally), a Columbian Wyandotte (Agnes), and a Speckled Sussex (Susie) have yet to begin laying.
Also, Frances has stopped laying. We had to bring her in for about two months in the summer because of a terrible case of bumblefoot, and she hadn't laid an egg since. Is she not laying because she's been ousted as queen of the flock (overthrown by fiesty Renee)?
Is there something dietary I'm not taking into account? They're free-range foragers who are fed a diet of Kalmbach organic layer crumbles mixed with Scratch and Peck organic layer feed (roughly 50/50 mix), given mealworms and sunworms as a snack along with Manna Pro Spring and Harvest mixes, and crushed eggshells for a calcium supplement (we're probably going to switch to oyster shells as their production slows in the winter).
Is there something else we could be doing? Or is it just a matter of patience?

I'd say patience; it sounds like they have an excellent diet. It being late in the year, the young ones may well not start laying much at all until spring.
I'm sorry about Frances. Bumblefoot is no fun to deal with. I don't think getting overthrown would be enough to cause her to stop laying, though. Could the bumblefoot have sparked an early molt?

There's a chance that's it! She was pulling out her feathers and shedding her down like crazy like she looks much better now but at the time she looked like a drowned rat for a little while lol

She's looking much better now!

Days are shortening without supplemental light they may not lay until after the solstice.
Even with lights, I have a few pullets not yet laying.

Best if birds that aren't laying do not eat layer feed.
An all flock type feed with oyster shells in separate container works very well for many.

I like to feed a flock raiser/starter/grower/finisher type feed with 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.
Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container. I also regularly offer digestive granite grit in the appropriate size, throw it out on the ground with the scratch. http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

Animal protein (a freshly trapped mouse, mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided once in while and during molting and/or if I see any feather eating.

Back
Top Bottom