Three Pekin Ducks

Justaregualducklover

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
Okay so, a few months ago back on April 21st, I (the oblivious happy 14 year old) had been researching for several months and my dad finally decided, “Okay. Let’s get three ducks. Why not. What could go wrong?” So i waddle home with my new babies and fell in love. They became pinker-bill, goose, and fluffs. Very original names, I know. My dad and I built a huge coop for them and we kept them in our big grassy yard.
My three baby girls are all grown up now. I love them to death. They just began laying eggs about a month ago right as school began. Yeah... school began...
and of course, being in qUArEnTiNE, I underestimated my time during the school year. As school continues, I feel like every day I have less time with my babies and less time to give them. It’s become really difficult to take care of them with the large amounts of homework and my low amounts of energy. I feel like I’ve failed them. They’ve been escaping their run too, and since we live pretty much in a city, that’s not ideal. My dad brought this all up and proposed I give them away to a good friend that won’t kill them right away or something... but I really don’t know anyone like that, and my best bet is my aunt who has a few ducks already, but she isn’t very close and she’s kinda distant from my family due to religious and political beliefs. It’s a mess. And I feel like if I advertise them it’s going to be like my ducks are just some Easter present my dad got me as a gift and I didn’t care about them. Which makes me feel like a complete idiot because I seriously believed I could handle them for their whole life and take care of them. They aren’t even a year old. I don’t know what to do.. If it helps, I live in the southern bits of Michigan within 50 miles of lancing (I don’t want to give away my location specifically, but that might help)
I just feel like an idiot. I know it’s the right thing to do though.

Okay so, a few months ago back on April 21st, I (the oblivious happy 14 year old) had been researching for several months and my dad finally decided, “Okay. Let’s get three ducks. Why not. What could go wrong?” So i waddle home with my new babies and fell in love. They became pinker-bill, goose, and fluffs. Very original names, I know. My dad and I built a huge coop for them and we kept them in our big grassy yard.
My three baby girls are all grown up now. I love them to death. They just began laying eggs about a month ago right as school began. Yeah... school began...
and of course, being in qUArEnTiNE, I underestimated my time during the school year. As school continues, I feel like every day I have less time with my babies and less time to give them. It’s become really difficult to take care of them with the large amounts of homework and my low amounts of energy. I feel like I’ve failed them. They’ve been escaping their run too, and since we live pretty much in a city, that’s not ideal. My dad brought this all up and proposed I give them away to a good friend that won’t kill them right away or something... but I really don’t know anyone like that, and my best bet is my aunt who has a few ducks already, but she isn’t very close and she’s kinda distant from my family due to religious and political beliefs. It’s a mess. And I feel like if I advertise them it’s going to be like my ducks are just some Easter present my dad got me as a gift and I didn’t care about them. Which makes me feel like a complete idiot because I seriously believed I could handle them for their whole life and take care of them. They aren’t even a year old. I don’t know what to do.. If it helps, I live in the southern bits of Michigan within 50 miles of lancing (I don’t want to give away my location specifically, but that might help)
You may have thought of this, but is there a "Petting Zoo" or Children's Zoo in your area? If that is a dead end, you can put them on Craig's List, and stipulate your desire for a "forever pet home only". Also, there are people who rescue unwanted animals and have farms. Maybe they'll take ducks.

I take in ducks and can drive to you my ducks and chickens are spoiled brats just ask anyone here and I always post pics and tag who ever I have gotten them from so you know how they are doing talk it over with your dad and let me know and don't feel bad right now everyone is upside-down with everything going on

I belive your best best bet is @Flockincrazy, I’ve seen pictures and heard stories of their animals and they all look very happy and healthy. They also have children that are also very enthusiastic about raising animals and I’m sure they would love to have a couple more ducks.

I belive your best best bet is @Flockincrazy, I’ve seen pictures and heard stories of their animals and they all look very happy and healthy. They also have children that are also very enthusiastic about raising animals and I’m sure they would love to have a couple more ducks.
Thanks @ILoveBabySilkies we love them all and yes i have 3 kids 6&8yo boy's and a 10yo daughter that absolutely love all of our animals they would get so much attention here they won't know what to do

And don't feel like an idiot. It's a crazy time , right now, and taking on ducks is an adventure, no matter the season.

Back
Top Bottom