THREE POLISH DEAD IN LESS THAN TWENTY FOUR HOURS:PLEASE HELP

iwuvapplesauce

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2016
I ordered twenty six chicks of various breeds off of McMurray Hatchery's website sometime after Christmas. They arrived yesterday and minutes after being placed under the heat lamp I noticed several problems with the White-Crested Polish.
One of them died after ten or twenty minutes of being in the cage one of them died.
Six hours later, another one was dead.
I woke up this morning to find one flat on its back, dead.
There are only four left and they aren't looking too good.
[I tried to add a picture but I'm doing this on my phone and the site is very different]
They're sharing the cage with five white Silkies, five buff Silkies, five red Frizzles, and twelve barred Rocks.
There is a divider made of hardware cloth sepparating the the other chicks from the barred rocks because the rocks are older and an inch bigger.
We have heat lamps on them at all times.
They have food and water.

REALLY IMPORTANT:
The Polish keep falling asleep and when they wake up they start breathing heavily like there hyperventilating.

Is the heat lamp too hot? Are they not supposed to be raised around other chicks? Are they not supposed to be around big chicks?

PLEASE HELP IMMEDIATELY

Do the rest of the chicks act as if they are too hot?

I would get some poultry nutri-drench for them. They are stressed from shipping. You don't say where in the US you are, but in some places it's a lot colder than average and in others it's hot. Either extreme can cause problems.

In my experience hatchery Polish are less thrifty than other breeds. I never had much luck with them, either chicks or the few that did make it to adulthood.

My feedstore polish were very fragile at the beginning, and had a tough time sleeping because the others were boisterous and the had to always be on alert. The nutridrench is a great suggestion and I separated mine in the brooder by a wire shelving rack that was well secured for the first weeks so they could all still get used to each other while letting the polish get rest. The shipping stress is really hard on them. Mine appreciated the chance to spawl out like a passed out drunk it was so cute.

If this is important, the other chicks keep running around and waking up the Polish when they're trying to sleep.

Is there a way I can break a large cage into three sections so that my polish can get rest as well as get used to the others?
Yes! Hardware cloth scraps (if you have them) plus twist ties or cable ties. Otherwise, get some cheap plastic fencing in the garden department.

Back
Top Bottom