Three possums in a week

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vaiger, Aug 9, 2010.

1. vaiger

vaiger Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Something had been breaking our eggs. I set the trap again and caught three possums last week! Once again I used a Honey Bun to catch them. I had previously tried catfood, fish, marshmallows, bacon, old produce, etc. and could never catch them. That brings me to 5 possums caught using honey buns. I will probably bait the trap for another week to make sure I have caught them all....for now.

2. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    Honey bun,that is very interesting.Probably will get you tons of raccoons too.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Now, you say they were breaking eggs. Did this happen in the daytime?

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I just use whatever fruit is naturally in season right now there are grapes not quiet ripe and a few blackberries that are left

5. vaiger

vaiger Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:No, it was at night. We have some birds that lay late in the day and occasionally, they will lay after we collect eggs in the afternoon.

Critter stole my bait last night and did not get trapped. I am guessing it is another possum.

6. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Got the eggs and not your chickens ? were the eggs in the coop ? If so I'd think they'd get your chickens as well -

Some chickens learn to break and eat the eggs. A very hard habit to stop.

Mine LOVE raw egg - if one gets steppd on and cracked ?? it's gone in seconds ! Luckily they haven't caught on to pecking them to break them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by