Three pullets gone, absolutely no sign of struggle...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JeffOeuf, Oct 1, 2012.

1. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    We've been out of town, and our chicken sitters called in a panic last night while we were driving home. Three of our four didn't come home last night, but our friends could find no signs of a struggle. We're out in the boondocks, and what predator problems we have had have been at night, so we had our friends come over and let them out in the morning and then come back and lock them up at night. That won't happen again, we'll just leave them in the run....but back to the odd thing. There's no sign of a struggle anywhere. Not one single feather from three birds that I know would put up a pretty good fight if attacked. What could take all three without one single feather left behind? I've been all over our ten acres, and in all of our chickens' favorite resting and foraging spots, and there's no sign at all.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Do you have any neighbors? Is it easy to get to your property? Humans are often the cause when no signs of a struggle can be found.

3. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    The thought has crossed my mind. Neighbors wouldn't (I don't think). The thought that it might have been prowlers scares the beejeebers out of me. But, why leave one, and our house is so easy to break into, why take chickens and nothing else?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Some people are just looking for a easy target to cash in on which unfortunately happens to be chickens for some people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by