Three Pullets - Three Different Issues - Need Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Pullet One:
    27wk old Golden Sebright
    Three weeks ago, she started sneezing and gaping. She was wormed with horse ivermectrin because I thought she had gapeworm (she's the only one with this problem). So far, she's not getting better. She is still eating, drinking, laying and acting normal, other than the sneeze and gaping. Should I use another wormer when I re-dose on day 10?

Pullet Two:
    25.5wk old Speckled Sussex
    I have already lost two pullets to this very same problem. Their tails start to droop, but still forage/eat, drink and act normal for about a week. Then, they will start to get lethargic and stop wanting to eat. Eventually, they just waste away and die. So far, she's still in the droopy tail stage. I have her on Corrid, but nothing has changed. I also wormed her with horse ivermectrin. Any ideas on what the problem is? I could only imagine it was either worms or cocci.

Pullet Three:
    16wk old Splash Laced Wyandotte
    She went on a 3hr trip to Maryland on Saturday to Msbear's swap and I noticed she had the classic cocci symptoms (except no bloody poop) - ruffled, head withdrawn, no interest in food/water, pale. So, I brought her back home. Yesterday morning she was huddled in her carrier, but standing. Three or so hours later my husband goes down to collect eggs again and came back saying she passed. He said he poked and prodded her and she didn't move. Well, she wasn't dead, but in the death position and pretty dismal looking. Since yesterday she's been in the house and I've been forcing her to drink poly-vi-sol (she hasn't eaten in a while) and Corrid water. Last night she totally flipped out and I thought she was having death spasms and that was the end of her. Nope. She still had her legs straight out behind her last night, with no use of her legs (could move them, but couldn't use them). She lived through the night, so this morning I started force feeding her hard boiled egg. She puts it down on her own, but won't actually take it on her own. Her legs are back under her and she has some use to them again, but can't stand on her own. She has better control of her head too - yesterday she was beak straight up, head flopped over and back... Today it's withdrawn but in the proper position. She's still ruffled, but not nearly bad as she was.

So, what else can I do to help her out? Does it look like she's coming out of it? I don't want to get my hopes up, but I am thinking she's making a come back.

2. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    so sorry you are coping will all this illness [​IMG]
    i can only speak on personal experience, i have lost some chickens with similar symptoms to yours. sneezing, weight loss, paralysis, lethargy.
    they have been tested for mycoplasma. i guess the only way to know for sure would for you to get some samples sent to the lab.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    They all have different symptoms, so they all have something different. I am most concerned about the Speckled Sussex. I only have two of these left. The Sebright I am pretty sure she has gapeworm, but want a second opinion. The Sebright is the only pullet with a sneeze (no discharge). The Wyandotte is definitely cocci, but she should have died by now. I am hoping someone knows a way to get her on the right track a little faster, since she is progressing.

4. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Pullet three, the Wyandotte, is eating on her own! She can move around, but she has to use her beak to steady herself as she 'crawls'. She's not drinking on her own though.

Pullet two, the Speckled Sussex, hasn't changed. Still floppy tailed, but I think she's losing interest in food. She is not laying yet, so she is not eggbound.

Pullet one, the Sebright, is still sneezing and gaping, but not as bad. Maybe it is gapeworm and the worm meds are working.

So, I could still use some help here. Anyone?

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have fantastic news!
    Pullet 3, the Wyandotte I have now named Miracle, is standing on her own! She went from the feet straight back, laying on her side with no head control and near death to eating and standing on her own again! I am still force feeding her because she isn't eating a lot and not what I want her to be eating (feeding them hard boiled eggs with yogurt). She's still very underweight and huddled, but making a great comeback!

I still have no idea what is wrong with my Speckled Sussex or my Sebright. I could still use some help with these two. I have a couple more with an occasional sneeze that it the same squeaky, high pitched sneeze as the Sebright's.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Since you've lost chickens before these got sick, have you thought about getting a necropsy done next time you lose one? In some states, the state vet can be helpful. I don't know what, if any, services or programs might be available for you. You might want to contact the university extension agent, too.

7. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi i would love to know how your chicken are now? My chickens have exactly the same symptoms! They have been wormed, had 2 courses of antibiotics nothing has worked! My very ill chicken is sneezing every minute of the day. Ive ordered some medicine for cocci just incase.x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by