Three week chicks one with bulging butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gary Thompson, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I have 5 Barred Rock chicks three weeks old now. One of them has pooched out butt every now and again. It looks unpleasant, like its poop is not coming out like it should. Is their something I should be doing. Or is this normal??[​IMG]

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    a pic would be really helpful, and check out threads on pasty butt and poopy butt on here and see if that is it?

3. Gary Thompson

Mar 8, 2011
    I looked up those things and didn't find anything, Its like its trying to poop but the hole isn't opening, to let it out.

4. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Gary Thompson

Mar 8, 2011
    No poo visable its like it the vent won't open

6. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    I've noticed my chicks bottoms all seem to heave, it's just part of their anatomy when they breathe. But if it looks much different than the others it could be something.

If you haven't seen it poop in awhile you might want to try soaking its bottom in warm water. You could take it out for awhile first and see if it poops at all in an hour (it will not be happy to be away from its friends). I've read somewhere chicks poop up to every fifteen minutes, so it should be pooping within an hour. If it doesn't poop maybe try a short soak?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by