Three Week Old Buff/Austra Mix, Austra/Barred Rock Mix

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New Flockman, Aug 8, 2013.

1. New Flockman

New Flockman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    Here they are at a bit over three weeks. Growing like weeds and Momma Bea still is taking very good care of them. Rest of flock very deferential and they are happy chicks. No idea s to sex yeat (can any of you tell). The one that appears to be the Buff/Austalorpe mix is larger and has more tail and is feathering faster. Could it be a Cockerel? He also had a buff colord middle toe but that is rapidly changing to black. the other chcik is starting to show some white on the wings and we think it's the Australorpe/Barred Rock mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Very adorable family!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If the momma was the barred rock, that chick will be a sex link. A solid colored head means female, a white spot on the head means male.
    If the rooster was the barred rock, no sex linkage, so you just have to wait it out [​IMG]

4. New Flockman

New Flockman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    We put the eggs of two Barred Rocks under Bea when she started sitting her own egg. One didn't hatch and when dissected later, was obviously not fertile. So, Bea is the momma of one of these and one of the Barred rocks is the other mom. The Australorpe roo is the father to both. We think that the bigger of the two is the Buff/Australorpe and the one with more white and greay is the Australorpe/Barred Rock.

Regardless of anything, this "accident" has been one our most rewarding chicken experiences. Seeing Bea take such good care of the chicks, and how deferential the rest of the flock is, rewards us on a daily basis. Who needs TV when you have chicks and chickens. The flock dynamic changes a lot when there are chicks running around. We have a large dirt box for the chickens in their area and the chicks are already frequent visitors. Below is "Chick2," the apparent Austra/Barred Rock mix, having a good old time in the "tub" this AM. Max, the poppa, was nearby, ever vigilant. IN terms of feathering, Chick2 is very much behind Chick1.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, I think everyone who keeps chickens should get to experience a broody hen raising chicks. It's about the coolest thing! Like you, I just watch them, they're kind of mesmerizing lol. And the mommas take such good care of the babies, showing them what to eat, and calling them to get tucked in when something approaches that might be dangerous. I hope I can always have broody hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by