three week old chick with bleeding - scratched?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleMoss, Mar 17, 2017.

1. LittleMoss

LittleMoss Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2017
    Hi, our first brood of chicks are three weeks old today. There are four of them and we incubated the eggs, so there's no mother hen. One of them has got some bleeding this morning, just about its foot - not too much, but we think it's probably been scratched by one of the others. For now, we've put it in a cardboard box, half under the brooder and half not, so that the others won't peck at the sore patch.
    What else should we do?
    The others are definitely starting to square up to each other a bit - we weren't expecting that kind of behaviour until they were older!
    I'd be grateful for any advice.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your brooder is too small and possibly too warm.....Get them into something bigger.....They are actually old enough to go out to the coop if you can provide them with heat over night...They will huddle and keep warm.....

Cheers!......

3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I dont see where you mention size of brooder?.......
    all chicks start sizing each other up and jumping at each other. They often start by 2 weeks or so. Sometimes earlier. Its part of play, and the pecking order. They do it no matter how much space they have.
    Is there anything sharp in their brooder?
    I would just watch and make sure it dries up and its not picking at its own foot either.
    When that happened to my 4-5 month old pullet i put bag balm on her foot and it healed real fast. But your tiny chick if you put anything on put just a tiny bit, enough to smear over and not leave excess the chick could eat.

4. chickens really

Just a general reason for aggression in Chicks......;)

Cheers!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You need to assemble a chicken first aid kit. Begin with a purchase of Blu-kote and Vetericyn. Spray the Vetericyn on the wound first, let dry, then paint the Blu-kote (or Blue Lotion) on the wound. The first promotes new tissue growth while the second protects against infection and disguises the wound so the chicken may be returned to the flock.

If you aren't ready to move the chicks into their coop, try taking your chicks outdoors for brief spells during the nicest part of the day for little romps in the run. You do have a coop and run built for them, don't you?

At three weeks, chicks should only need a little bit of heat during the night, then no heat at all in another week.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Depending on how bad the scrape/scratch is (any photos?), apply some Blu-Kote to cover it and let her out with the others. (IF she is lethargic, limping or seriously injured, keep her separated).

Giving plenty of room is a very good idea. We don't know your brooder space, so we're just guessing[​IMG]

Chicks will start to "square off" way earlier than you think - this is establishing the pecking order. The running, jumping, chest bumping is all just a part of it. Those babies grow fast!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  7. LittleMoss

Jan 27, 2017
    We're wondering if it was the bottom of the wire (their brooder is in a run). We've covered that part up now - I'd pressed those wires down before and thought they were okay, really wish I'd done more now! The water feeder was just in front of the loose wire, and I wonder if the chick squeezed in between.
    We're in the UK, I'm not sure if we can get the products you've mentioned. A friend has told me to clean it and put some Sudocrem on when it's dry (that's an antiseptic antibacterial cream used for babies over here). There does seem to have been a little more bleeding, but not much - just a little wet on the wound, nothing on the ground.
    Sorry, I haven't got any photos at the moment.

8. LittleMoss

Jan 27, 2017
    Forgot to say - the chick is mostly sitting down at the moment, and limping a bit when it moves, so I'm keeping it separate for now.
    We do have a run and coop ready outside, hopefully we'll get some good weather soon too!
    Thanks for everyone's help.

9. chickens really

I would really start putting them out in the coop during the day...Even if you had to bring them back inside at night....They will be fine during the day....:)

Cheers!

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by