1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three week old chick with broken toe !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JGardiner, Apr 10, 2016.

1. JGardiner

JGardiner New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    Kenedy tx
    I have a three week old leghorn that broke his toe trying to get out of his box . should I splint it , I am not sure if it's the toe or actual foot . it's black n blue with a tiny sore . what should i do ?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your chick. Could you take a pic and post in the emergency section? Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

For something broken quick action is needed to try and correct the break before the bones heal in the wrong place. I'm sure members in the emergencies section will be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chick :fl

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Yorkshire Coop, if you can't take him to a vet please do post on the ER site ASAP!!.. Did he lose just the nail, or broke the toe?

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello and good luck with your chick.

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by