Three Week Old New Chicken MOMMA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Momma, Oct 9, 2013.

1. The Momma

The Momma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Met a chicken farmer who gave me some eggs. I hatched all but one. This is my first time so far so good. Chicks are 3 weeks old and my coop and yard are huge. I let them out today for the first time in the yard. They are having exploration time. I have been tending a compost pile in the coop yard for about 2 months. Full of worms and bugs.

Question 1: what do I feed them?
    Question 2: where will they sleep???????
    Question 3: how much handling must I do to get them friendly with me.

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    cool! welcome to the world, chickies! good job letting them roam! 1. i would give them 'chick starter medicated chick feed'. you can find it at TLC. (tractor supply co.) 2. they can sleep in the coop in a nest box, or a box, or anything that is dry and safe. 3. when i got my chicks, i handled them gently but religiously every day at least once. I would do it everyday if possible. You know, just pet 'em, love 'em, make sure they know who loves them. [​IMG] Good luck! and happy days ahead!

3. The Momma

The Momma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    THanks, that's exactly what I fed them and they are thriving!! They are now 6 weeks old (this THursday) and at night I have been keeping them in a big blue plastic bin (their home since they were chick babies). They are growing quite fast and I think by this weekend I will feel good about keeping them alone in their new home outside.

I am wondering about feed after they get about 6 - 8 weeks old. Some swear by organic but the prices are really high. Can anyone recommend a feed that's good but more affordable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by