Three Week Old Not Eating - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MadHatcher, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Hello!

So I've been waiting on hatching eggs to arrive that I pre-ordered in January... waiting has been so hard! To keep myself occupied I've been planning, reading, and getting everything ready for the eggs to arrive. Well, last night I went to pick up the last piece of the puzzle - a coop from a woman who outgrew it and had a larger one built for herself.

When I was finished loading up the coop I couldn't help cooing over her thirty or more little balls of fluff. I told her of my fondness for Buff Orpington chickens. It was then that she offered that I take one home with me.

I've been waiting on chickens for over half a year and I just couldn't resist! So my new little three week old Buff Orpington chicken spent her first night at home in the brooder I had setup for chickens that haven't even arrived as eggs at my house yet.

She is alert and funny - Loves to snuggle in my hands or against my neck under my hair. She hops all around finding new and more interesting places to perch, and is drinking plenty of water.

My only concern is that she isn't really eating. I've got organic chick starter from our local feed store that they have mixed up by a professional poultry vet and she seems to hate it. It looks like a really fine grit with little tiny tiny chucks of corn, seeds and flakes of unknown origin. I've been assured that this is nutritionally complete for growing chicks.

She picks at it like she understands that it might be food... but is unwilling to actually eat it. I wonder if whatever the woman I got her from was feeding her something yummier than what I'm offering.

I've given her some strands of grass and a clump of dirt from the yard to peck through since she was kept in an outdoor pen with her siblings. I've tried sprinkling some over that but she isn't fooled.

I'm willing to cook eggs/oatmeal/yogurt etc. to offer her if she won't eat the starter but I want to make sure she is getting complete nutrition and not just tasty treats.

Should I add a vitamin supplement to her water as well?

She has had several poos since I've had her (of course!) and they've looked healthy based on the poo threads/images I've seen from this site. I'd go into detail but I don't want to gross anyone out! [​IMG]

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to provide any additional information.

Any suggestions you have would be great!

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Try a bag of Purina chick starter food..... Our 5 chicks love it!! We seem to be buying a new bag every 2 weeks..... Yes they eat a lot!!!

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I'm thinking heat! Is she warm enough? They wont eat if they are chilly.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    she sounds lonely, give her a mirror or stuffed animal.

5. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I think you're also safe giving her some scrambled or hard-boiled crack, I mean eggs, as a pick-me-up. From what I read on the forum, eggs are totally digestible and have a great shot of protein, fat, and vitamins for chicks. My chicks loved them almost immediately once I figured out to cut up the egg really small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by