Three weeks old. . . treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RebelsHope, Aug 18, 2007.

1. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I have three week old chicks. They have just start going outside for a few hours in it is nice. So they scratch and get whatever is on the ground. Little bugs and slugs and such. Should they be getting other treats? Are treats important if they are going to free range; to get them used to eating different things?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as I understand treats are not necessary at that age, although it can be fun to introduce them to treats.

The trick is that if they are eating foods other than feed they need grit or to be free ranging (so they can pick up tiny rocks). If your concern is that they will not have varied tastes when they are older I don’t think that is problem. They will scarf down stuff later if you want to wait.

3. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Thanks. I did start giving them a chick grit with oyster shells and granite

4. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Our chickens are free range. I give them uncooked oatmeal mixed in yogurt every day. One of my hens has one little chick that is less than a week old. She started eating the yogurt with her mom from day two. They eat it like I used to eat rice and gravy.

5. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Grasshoppers!

We have a field behind us and we catch a dozen or so each day for our 10 chicks. They love the bugs, and we love to watch the fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by