Three year old hen not laying...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LadyFromTheMountain, Nov 22, 2017.

1. LadyFromTheMountain

LadyFromTheMountain In the Brooder

Nov 22, 2017
    Western Washington
    So I recently got a new Rhode island red to add to my flock of three month olds, she is adjusting well and is very friendly to me and the littles. The only thing I'm concerned about is that she's not laying yet, she's three years old and my friend I got her from said she had been laying. Background info, she said that she wanted to get rid of all her chickens because the rats on their property were eating the eggs faster than she could get them daily... But I only took the one hen because I'm partial to rhodies. So the main question is does anyone have any suggestions as to why she's not laying?

rjohns39, drumstick diva and Teila like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome Shortened day length and the move to a new home are probably both factors impacting her egg production. Also at 3 years of age she has probably passed her more productive years. She will most likely start laying again once day length is in excess of 12 hours/day.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    rjohns39, 007Sean, Saaniya and 3 others like this.
  3. LadyFromTheMountain

Nov 22, 2017
    Western Washington

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. LadyFromTheMountain

Nov 22, 2017
    Western Washington
    Thank you! I was kinda thinking maybe the short amout of daylight could be messing with her!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under LadyFromTheMountain :frow Welcome!

I agree with Sourland but just wanted to add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. One of which is Topic of the Week - Winter Egg Laying

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

6. Gloryfarm

Gloryfarm In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2017
    Agree with above! Moving causing stress itself plus short days. My new layers this year took over a month to start laying after getting them. That was during the summer too.

7. LadyFromTheMountain

Nov 22, 2017
    Western Washington
    Thank you so much guys! I have a feeling I'm going to like this site! :)

rjohns39 and drumstick diva like this.
  8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC. You have some great advice from Sourland, so I'll just say a big :frow

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC hope you enjoy it as much as we do :yesss:

10. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Thanks for joining us!

Hope Hughes, rjohns39 and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: