three year old Isa Brown vent area stays nasty.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bucky52, May 15, 2018.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    For the last two years she has had bald spots on each side of her vent..I broke down and order Elector PSP.and sprayed under her wings and vent area Back in February.She had started to grow her feathers back on her bald spots 'I also sprayed the roosting area .Yesterday her vent was really nasty. She was walking more slower than normal. I cleaned her up in some warm water. And was shocked at how red and raw around the area of her vent. I put some Neosporin and bag balm on her.I kept her in the house over night and applied more Neosporin this morning. She seemed to feel better.I also cleaned the coop this morning and sprayed it down with Elector PSP.Could it be yeast infection,Mites or both

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of her vent?
    Does she have a large bottom or appear to have swelling/bloat below the vent?

Yeast infection or Vent Gleet usually has a white thick discharge coming from the vent, is that what you are seeing?

3. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    ck, post: 19976207, member: 380647"]Can you post some photos of her vent?
    Does she have a large bottom or appear to have swelling/bloat below the vent?

Yeast infection or Vent Gleet usually has a white thick discharge coming from the vent, is that what you are seeing?[/QUOTE]

4. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    I have no way of uploading a picture.She does have white discharge and some yellow mixed in her poo.I clean her up and trim her feathers around her vent.She looks good for a week or two,and than she has poo collected in her feathers.last week i seen her poo yellow slimmy poo.She is the last Isa Brown I have left.I started with four.I did read up on the breed.and they don't have a long life span.I have 6 more mixed breed hens that are 5 and 6 years old.They are active and still laying.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have found that certain birds will have a messy vent no matter what you do. She might be getting pecked or picking her own feathers. I would take in some fresh droppings to a vet if possible to test for worms and coccidiosis. If you cannot, then I would worm her with Valbazen 1/2 to 2/4 ml once and again in 10 days. Discard her eggs for 2 weeks after last dosage.

Give her bottom and wash with soap and warm water. When she dries well, trim any excess feathers that get in the way and collect poop. Repeat when necessary. Start some probiotics in her diet, either the little packets at feed stores in the dog medicines, or by giving 1 tsp of plain yogurt (use a brand name, not a store brand) mixed into her feed daily. Make sure that you are feeding a balanced player feed. I find if I make a mash of watery feed, they will have runnier poops.

Wyorp Rock and Henrybelle like this.
  6. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I'm thinking she is internally laying. When she does lay, are her shells good quality? Are any of the eggs in the nest covered with yolk, yet no egg shell present in the nest? Sounds like a combination of internal laying and vent gleet.

8. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    I wormed her in March.She has never been a good layer.I thought she was done with that .she has only laid one egg in a year.She has never been interested in free ranging with the rest of the hens.just content to sit in her run.and watch them.she has never been active since i had her.She lost her sister 6 weeks ago to sudden death.The Isa Browns had their own area.I had two older hens that would bully them.I feel she is also grieving the death of her sister.She can see the other hens.the only thing separating them is chicken wire.Since i lost Lovie.(her one and only sister) she is coming out the run.and mingling some.I have started treating her for vent gleet.I looked at pictures and read up on it and i feel that's what is going on with her.I have noticed she is eating very little..I have started bringing her in the house at night..Cleaning her up and putting antifungal cream on her.I put apple cider vinegar and garlic in her water this morning.I was watching her after i took her down to her coop and run this morning.She ate a little than just sat in her run.watching the other hens.Thank You for all your help.We do all we can and sometimes it just might be their time here on earth.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011

10. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    She laid a egg two weeks ago.The first egg since last summer.Her comb is bright red Her vent area this morning looked swollen to me when i was putting antifungal cream on her.I have dealt with internal laying before. That may be what's going on with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: