Three young children die in house fire...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Spookwriter, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Please....please take a minute to read this.

Nine minutes from the time the call came in, until trucks were on the scene.
    Nine minutes.

To find a fully engulfed mobile home.

Mother survived. Her three young children did not.

Found in a rear bedroom.

The fire was called in by the womans neighbor.

As you read this message...take a minute to think about it. Really think about
    what I'm going to say.

They had no fire extinguishers, no smoke alarms. No nothing.

This Christmas season, as we rush around buying toys or other needless gifts
    for our familys....PLEASE take the time to buy/install/check your smoke alarms.
    Make sure your have a working extinguisher. Carbon monoxide detector.

We hope you never need them. But its a gift you'll never regret.

Do it for your family.

A house fire is very real. Let the house go: Get out ...but have a plan for your family to
    survive.

PLEASE...

2. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Devastating. I saw this on the news tonight. Prayers for the family of those who died in the fire.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    My three kids survived a house fire over 10 years ago...I knew then I was lucky.... My heart aches for her... My prayers are with you unknown friend...

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Last year my folks got us all new fire extinguishers for Christmas. It was a great (and practical) gift, considering mine was 10 years old.

Just because it's there, doesn't mean it works. They need recharged periodically, unless disposable.

Sad story, but a great reminder, thanks for posting.

5. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I know some people think it is lame, but fire extinguishers make a great wedding gift…… I don’t know the situation because I didn’t see the news, but I would probably die in the fire trying to save my kids.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I encourage everyone to be as "weird" as I am. I have fire extinguishers in every room and I check them. Smoke detectors are on the table right now. Why? Because they are all getting fresh batteries right now!

I won't go to bed until the fire is banked, screened and secure. Even then I usually check it several time to be sure. I'm not paranoid, but I am VERY careful.

Hope you all stay safe and warm!

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    omg thats so sad. [​IMG]

8. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    We had three kids die in a house fire here a few months ago - so sad.
    When my kids were tiny it was the one thing I was terrified of. I had 4 kids under 3 and a half years old and DH and I always thought how we would get them out in a hurry if we had to. My heart goes out to the mum. The mum of the 3 kids here also survived though she had severe burns from trying to reach her babies. I couldn;t imagine the pain of losing your entire family like that especially around this time of year.

Oesdog

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thank you for the reminder. I need to pick up batteries for one of my detectors. We always have a meeting place designated outside. My DS is a teen now, whenever we moved to a new place, that was the first thing we did. We have a teen staying with us for 2 weeks over the holiday, this reminds me I need to tell him the "plan" My folks alwyas did this when we were kids. This way they knew if we were not at THE spot we were not safe and they would go to find us.

10. StrictBaptist

StrictBaptist Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Very. Sry to hear. Prayers go out to the family

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by