Three's a crowd??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pawsplus, Jun 28, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I started out w/ 2 chickens. Clarice was a stray, and I got Olivia to be her friend. They got along well. Then, 4 years later, I added #3, Svetlana. This coincided (totally by accident) with Olivia's first bout w/ egg yolk peritonitis--so Olivia was in the house for 2 weeks and that gave Clarice a chance to bond w/ Svetlana--which was good, b/c at first she was picking on Svet mercilessly and trying to defend Olivia from her.

So after that they all 3 seemed to get along, BUT Clarice's allegience had shifted from Olivia to Svetlana. No one got picked on, but Clarice hung out w/ Svetty and they both mostly ignored Olivia.

Olivia just had a second bout of egg yolk peritonitis and is getting spayed (today, in fact--fingers crossed). But in the last 2 weeks, she's been getting picked on a LOT by Clarice. Olivia was in the house for a week while the abios and Metacam kicked in--they she went back out w/ the other girls. At first all seemed well, but in the last few days I've noticed the picking getting worse. I put out 4-5 separate bowls of food but no matter which one Olivia goes to, Clarice runs her off. [​IMG]

Could this be b/c of all the changes? In addition to Olivia being in and out of the run, I've also been having to catch her every evening and medicate her, AND I did some renovations on the run, which meant they were stuck in the coop for much of the day on 2 successive Saturdays.

Do you think things will stabilize? Or is it just that 3's a crowd? Should I get a 4th hen to balance things out? Thanks!

2. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Awww usually they will work it out but with her having been so sick I don't know!!! [​IMG]

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Anybody???? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by