threw egg out door - it was alive...

Peaches

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Stanwood, Wa.
barnie.gif
Oh sheesh... I have had great muscovy hatches. 2 hens and a drake on site. Cinnamon sat well over 35 days on 12 eggs and they all rotted and none hatched and I finally took her off.

Marge has been setting for at least 37 days (I know that's within the realmof their setting time. But.. I could smell some were rotten and figured it would be the same. Don't know what's wrong with "dad" - he seems fine...

anyway, an egg exploded under her
barnie.gif

I tried to pull some out - she grabbed it too and ate it (yuk), but really a mess under there w/ down and all. I took out another egg that smelled icky and appear to be bad, and tossed it out the door of the coop.

Yeah, you guessed it - it broke - it was a live duck. I put it back under her - it is quite cracked and some blood. It is cheeping. she is looking unwilling to sit back down (can you blame her, what a smell!). anyway, I am currently leaving them alone.

Ideas? suggestions? do you think that baby is a goner. Man, I feel so bad.

Well, half the shell is gone , but that is as it was when I put baby back under mom. Baby not moving much, but I am leaving it under mom. I probably messed it up... other eggs are now starting to pip. I don't want to mess with mom any more.

I can give a better update tomorrow - see what might happen tonight.

Ok.. I have two tolouse geese. Pate' and Spruce. Thought they were male and female (they are a year old). SEEMED like Spruce was trying to do SOMETHING with Pate' in the pond.
idunno.gif

Pate laid a ton of eggs. I took some, but let her go to set May 5... just in case. But when she gets off the nest , Spruce sits down. Spruce at one point SEEMED to have created a second next.. it is gone (it was next to hers) and has been incorporated into hers.

This tells me 99% chance both are female.

1. HOW LONG for goose eggs to hatch?

2.... if both female and time for eggs to hatch goes by.. any suggestions for REMOVING EGGS and clearing out nest without getting killed?

ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom