threw out rotten egg nest -- what do you line your nests with?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenannie, May 30, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    One egg exploded in the broody nest and covered the eggs with rotten goo. Yuck! I took her off the nest and cleaned it out. Actually there were 8 rotten eggs and 2 with developed chicks inside. I felt so bad, but I don't have candling equipment and I couldn't tell if any were ok (they looked terrible on the outside). But this is in my nice new wooden 4-nest box. I can't get the goop off the wooden flooring despite scraping, washing, etc. It is hardened on there. What do you all line your nests with to keep this from happening?

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use a small piece of carpet and lay hay on the top of it. Then just change out the hay once in awhile.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    That's a good idea.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    And get a flashlight or spotlight or something..... [​IMG]

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The mini maglite, flashlight works great as a candler. They are not all that expensive and available at lowes, walmart, etc. It is well worth the money to prevent those exploding eggs.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    HUbby and I are just working on nest boxes now. BUt we have decided to use the 12 x 12 sticky floor tiles. He will also make them so you can pull the bottom out and clean. BUt the tiles should make the job easier. I use shavings in my coop and my temporary nests now. Since I have horses they are readily available and seem to work well.

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Mine are full of pine shavings [​IMG]

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:So are mine, have you been taking my pine shavings??

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I didn't think you would miss them, lol!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] ...you know, help a fellow chicken lover out kinda thing!! Share the shavings!!

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  10. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    I use plain straw....they work it around in the box and when they are done it looks like a neat little bowl! lol Its easy to just pick up the 'bowl' and toss it in the garden. There are so many things to use, as long as your girls like it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by