Threw out some hay, so they can play ...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kathyinmo, Jan 3, 2010.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My chickens don't really like the snow. So, I bought some hay, and threw it around the run. They all came out and seemed to enjoy picking through it. It was about 10* here today. I threw out some BOSS, but they just don't seem interested in that. [​IMG] This is a grow out run. They are about 14 - 17 weeks old, with a couple old timers in there.

[​IMG]
    An Easter Egger, with Shirley's behind behind her! Shirley is a Cuckoo Marans that finished molting a few weeks ago and looks beautiful (but still is not laying!) ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Mr. Alpha roo (Marans) ... deciding if it's ok for me to be there! LOL
    [​IMG]
    And, the Silkies are always outside!
    [​IMG]
    This cochin refuses to go outside, so I threw her some hay inside ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaaaaawwwwww how beautiful they are. Look like they were having fun in the hay.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That is a Very pretty cochin [​IMG]

4. ChOOkens

ChOOkens ►ChOOken In A Box◄

Jun 1, 2009
    Australia
    Title rhymes [​IMG]
    I wish I were a chicken in that.
    I would have a lot of fun, like they are having!

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    They are beautiful - I don't blame them, I don't care much for snow, either!

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    thats a super great idear!!! i have some hay i am gonna throw out into their run. although its covered and snow has not entered into their outside run,, it will get them out and keep them busy! thanks great idear!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Love that third pic. Your dog in the background looks like he'd like to join in the fun of scratching and rollling around in the hay!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Beautiful chickens! I wish I could find some of that grassy looking hay. The last stuff I got from a neighbor (has horses) was really stiff and stem-like. Not grassy at all and the hens wouldn't touch it!

9. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    My girls hate the snow too. I just went out to the coop to sit with them becuause I know they get so bored being cooped up.
    I wish I had some hay to throw out for them, they would love it.

10. barngem

barngem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    My chickens love alfalfa in the winter. They will pick the leaves and blossoms off the stems and leave the stems.
    Gives them a nice veggi choice in this snow covered *ell.
    Someone mentioned hay that was stiff and stemmy like, it was probably some alfalfa. If it is not baled right or at the wrong time it is stemmy. Not good for horses when its like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by