thrilled!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Godsgrl, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    We have 4 nestboxes in our coop. Two don't get used, one is for sleeping, and one is Big Momma's delivery room. She only lays in that box. Well yesterday, I found an egg in the night box. I was kind of suspicious of that. Then sure enough later on, there was an egg in the delivery room box.

I tried not to get my hopes up, but I suspected I had another hen laying. Then today I spied Thing One in Big Momma's box. I walked away, then went back a bit later to check on things. She was still there, with another hen attending her. Yes!! I have two hens laying!! It's so exciting!![​IMG]

Due to the circumstances of how we acquired our chickens, we aren't sure of our their ages. Momma was laying from the beginning, but we had about given up hope of the others laying before spring, (or ever!)

Why do the other hens attend a laying hen? We've noticed at least one hen sits near the layer. kinda neat!!

2. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Congrats on the egg! I have a hen named Big Mama too, she is a buff orp. My hens just started laying a couple of weeks ago and it's still a thrill to find eggs!

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

When my little RIR started laying, I could hear her call to her closest friend/hen and she came in and sat with her for a while. Sounds nice. I liked company when I was in labor. [​IMG]

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Well I don't know what she was doing in the nestbox, but laying wasn't it. I was so disappointed to go out later and find no eggs for the day. Bummer. I'm still stumped though by the two eggs the day before. I guess we'll wait and see.

Thanks all!

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    congrats on the egg

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I have about 8 out of 16 laying and I still haven't figured out which ones they are exactly. I'm not there all day to pay attention and the eggs are there when I get home. I try to watch closely on the weekends but have only figured 4 out so far.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Jenichick, I only have 6, and I've only figured out which ones TWO of them lay! Frustrating when you work full time. My job sure takes time away from my personal life! HA!

8. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    Sometimes, when my hens were just getting started laying, they would practice sitting. I would see one in the box for 30 - 45 minutes and later, no egg. After they got going better (about 5 or 6 weeks) they were more regular.

In my pen of younger birds I had the most interest thing. When they were about 23 weeks I got my first egg in there. Then I got an egg every day for 16 days straight. I thought I had a prize now! From her first egg and not to miss a day for 16 days. That was something! Wasn't it? Well, on the 17th day, guess what? 3 eggs. Day 18, 2 eggs.

You know what I think now? One hen did not lay 16 days in a row. They were taking turns. Guess they pulled one over on me. Good for them!!

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Sometimes, when my hens were just getting started laying, they would practice sitting. I would see one in the box for 30 - 45 minutes and later, no egg. After they got going better (about 5 or 6 weeks) they were more regular

I guess that is what is going on then. Hens sure like to keep us guessing! LOL

Too funny about the chickens tricking you for the 16 days. I swear we need to hook up a coop-cam to see who is laying what and where. LOL

10. leghorns_rule

leghorns_rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    syr New york
    congrats!!!!! hopefully the rest will start to lay as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by