1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Throat and Eye Concern

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawkeyext, Jan 9, 2017.

1. hawkeyext

hawkeyext Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Hello, I noticed one of my 1 year old hens acting funny yesterday. When I put out some water several hens ran up and drank, and this one perched herself on the bowl and started to breathe funny. Attached is a video.

The corner of her eye also looked watery. Almost as if there were several tiny bubbles in it.

Has anyone encountered either of these things?

Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is somewhat common in winter when people tend to close up the coop because of cold.
    Make sure the ventilation is just as good in winter as summer.

3. hawkeyext

hawkeyext Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she might have something she is trying to get out of her throat. Sometimes those signs can be early symptoms of a respiratory disease, but I would just keep a watch out for nasal secretions, sneezing or coughing, or wheezing which can be other signs. Some diseases are caused by viruses, bacteria, or from molds. As ChickenCanoe said, make sure the coop ventilation is good overhead, and that the bedding is dry and not dusty. I have seen eye bubbles that go away during very cold weather. If you notice swelling or thick drainage, I would seek vet care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by