Throat injury!!! Urgent!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gerbil, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    One of our small mutt hens was attacked by a crow.
    She has what looks to be a partially slit throat, a little more than skin deep, she's breathing with her beak open, no gurgling or wheezing.
    There doesn't appear to be much bleeding but, her eyes are closed and I think there may be other internal injuries.

Right now she's in a warm box.

I don't know what to do next!!!
    Help, Gerbil.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure it was a crow? They don't usually attack grown chickens. Anyway, keep her warm and quiet, with fresh water and maybe some soupy oatmeal or scrambled eggs, something that doesn't require her crop to work too hard and observe her. She could be in shock.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most likely she's in shock. Keep her warm and in a quiet place till she recovers from the shock. Have you cleaned out the wound? If not you need too if you have saline wash or peroxide diluted wash it out good then apply neosporin, just make sure whatever you use doesn't have the caine type of pain killer. Keep us posted

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It was a crow, we saw it. [​IMG] I'm shocked, they are everywhere and we've never had problem with them before.
    We haven't cleaned anything yet, she's resting now in her box. I will make some oatmeal and give it to her in a moment.

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Worry about the wound care first, food later.

Think about personal injurries, that last thing an injured person wants is a bowl of oatmeal. Seriously.

Putting food in durring a shock situation can make matters worse as it takes energy and blood to deal with digestion. Also being it is a throat injury you will want to check out the area before feeding.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Quote:I meant after, right now she's in a dark box, were not doing anything with her until she appears to be more alert.
    I have dealt with chickens in shock before, but not a throat injury.

I will update on her soon.

Thanks all. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Soothing encouraging soft spoken words to her may help her through a shocky state. Been there, done that, and it did make a difference. Took an hour plus of gently telling Ellie she would be okay after a dog attack - she had closed her eyes and it looked like I was going to lose her but she did come around. Her buddy BJ was also a great comfort to her.

A drop of Rescue Remedy in her water may help with the stress and electrolytes may help with the shock (a spritz of Pedialtye in water or on cool fruit she likes will do if poultry electrolytes not at hand - but not pushing the issue till she calms down).

I hope she'll be okay [​IMG]

A crow - WOW.

JJ

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    She's is one of those sit on your lap, pet me or I peck you chickens, so I think it it might help. I just peeked at her and she appears to be a little better, last check was over a half hour ago.

9. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    We haven't cleaned anything yet, she's resting now in her box. I will make some oatmeal and give it to her in a moment.

Sorry, just though you were skipping ahead a bit. But I am sure as she perks up she will be thankful for the treats.​

10. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Quote:Sorry, just though you were skipping ahead a bit. But I am sure as she perks up she will be thankful for the treats.

Okay. [​IMG]

She drank electrolyte water, made a few little noises and walked around.
    I got a better look at her cut but, her muff is really being a pain! [​IMG] It looks pretty clean, still bleeding a little bit because she keeps moving her head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by