Throwing fake eggs out of the box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I was really not going to ask this... But it has gotten worse... My chickens are throwing the golf balls out of the boxes... I keep picking them up and puting them back, plus rearrange in new boxes. I was okay to throwing on a day out... but now they are throwing 4-5 out at least twice a day... what do I do??? Can anyone help???

Tes

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    It's a game now.[​IMG] Remember when your kids were 2 years old and would drop things for you to pick up? They are sitting there in the run snickering at you and clucking behind your back--- "I wonder how long before she comes and puts back the old golf balls...what does she think we are--dumb chickens or something?"[​IMG] [​IMG]

Have you tried rocks? Maybe the golf balls roll to easily. The rocks weigh more and don't roll so easily. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What about a lip on your nest boxes? Are they high enough?

4. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll tell you this much. We had a white plastic Easter egg in one of our boxes. The chickens did not seem to care for this plastic egg at all. Our neighbors had those ceramic eggs in white and brown. We put those in and they never messed with them. Maybe your chickens are being picky. That's what we decided the problem was with ours. Weird chickens....who knows?[​IMG]

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] "it's a game" yah... i remember the 2 yr old games....still play them with my 7 yr old [​IMG]

Okay first of all... they free range... and usually out running the property when I go in there and put them back...

Yes, I have lips on the boxes... was affraid they would throw out the eggs [​IMG] maybe I should put them higher?

I had a plastic egg in there too... ummmm they kicked that one out and even kicked it out of the coop... when I found it... it was half way across the yard [​IMG] [​IMG]

Where would I find the ceramic eggs??? Michaels???

Thanks for the inputs all.. anyone else????

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I was just at Hobby Lobby the other day and sow some of those ceramic eggs. I am sure Michaels would have them. You could always call them before you waste gas driving over there. I have also seen them at feed stores and co-ops.

7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    LOL,,,so I am not the only one. I have a big group of girls who should start laying hopefully next month. My coops are small, two are converted dog houses soon to be three so there are only perches added. They are to small to build nestboxes so I put dishpans or crates all nice and cozy filled with hay and just last week added the plastic eggs so that they would get the idea. Well, as of the end of the week they were thrown all over their little coops, hay out of them and plastic eggs tossed. Are they trying to tell me something?[​IMG]

8. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Strange how chickens can be picky about fake eggs.
    I wouldn't even buy any! Use white rocks [​IMG]

9. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    It seems to me that the fake eggs have served their purpose and you may not need them anymore. Aren't these used to show the hens where to lay and get them interested and acquainted with the boxes? If they are in there tossing the fake eggs, then they have taken an interest in the boxes and are simply getting rid of some clutter.

Polychickens
    PS: you could always try a velcro covered egg or screw down a plastic golf ball [​IMG]

10. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    I don't use anything. My girls started laying about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and at the time, I didn't even have a nest box in there. Since then I have gotten a nest box and all except one (she insists on a corner of the floor), uses the nests. I keep them cooped until late morning though, so I think that helps. Either they use the nest for privacy or else they gotta do the deed in front of eveyone! LOL!! Guess I have modest chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by