Throwing Leaves Over Shoulders?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by purpletree23, Nov 18, 2010.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I have a hen who is about 6 months old. Yesterday I noticed something strange. While she was out free ranging (at least 2 hours a day) she was picking up leaves and leaf pieces and was trying to throw them over her shoulders. Why is she doing this?

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My broody hen was doing that when I would make her get off the nest (no fert. eggs --so twice a day I would lift her out of the nestbox and place her in the run).. She was putting shavings and leaves on her back.. Not sure why but when I asked --others stated it wasn't abnormal for them to do it!

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Mine do it when they get into the nest boxes. I have one that likes to lay in the corner by our house where there are lots of leaves and she also puts them over her back.

Silly hens [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The theory that makes sense to me is that it is an attempt to camouflage themselves, going back to when they nested under a bush and were trying to hide from predators.

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Yep they are hiding

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I prefer to think they are decorating themselves, because one of my really prissy hens does this AFTER she leaves the nest. It's a fashion statement: All Dressed Up Fancy Because *I* Just Laid An Egg!

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

i have noticed mine do this when they are not well...?

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do it after they lay and are leaving the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by