Throwing out perfectly good bird food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SandraMort, Aug 15, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I was cleaning out the kitchen and packing all of the sealed and easily packed items. Opened items that were likely to spill, however, ended up in the trash.

I found myself stopping to try to figure out how to save the stuff, since it would make such good bird treats... steel cut and flaked oats, shredded wheat 'n' bran, chopped nuts, dried fruit, and much much more. But I had nothing to put it in, so out it went!

I CAN'T WAIT to have avian garbage disposals!

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    zip lock bags. You could have thrown it all into one bag and made them some trail mix. [​IMG]

PS: Good luck on your move. I hate moving!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Trail mix for me or the birds? Not worth it, if it's for them... I didn't have a container big enough and the birds won't hatch for weeks yet.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My DH loves Pretzels. He goes to the TSC and get's a 40 oz plastic container of them. I use them after he eats all the pretzels. I put all dry things in here I think my chickens would like to eat. It doesn't take long for me to fill it up. I give it a good skake and away I go to give them their treats. [​IMG]

5. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    That's a good idea, for when I have birds, a large container and am done with this crisis speed move. I like animal crackers from Costco, I could use that!

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Now I'm hungry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by