Throwing out the duds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlienChick, Nov 30, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Candling incubator eggs . . .

When you guys toss the non-fertile eggs after, say, day 14, do you throw them into the trash or do you give them to the dogs???

2. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I throw mine out

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    If eggs I order arrive damaged but not smelly I scramable them and feed them to my chickens. anything I've kept warm (incubated) I crack open cause you know I just have to see inside [​IMG] , then throw away.

I went to set a turkey egg this morning and noticed it was badly dented from shipping and had an odor, so tossed it.

so, I usually don't feed any of these to the dogs...but give them back to chickens if not yet incubated, to add protein to their diets.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm with MamaMercy- if I've been incubating them, I seal them in a ziploc bag, and then crack them open to see if I was wrong or not, and to see how far they developed. It's always been interesting, and the only mistake I've made is not throwing them out soon enough. But then again, I've never had an egg explode, so maybe it's been ok that I've taken my time to toss them.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I feed my dogs the totally clear ones. Not the blood rings or the early quitters though.
    I usually remove the clear ones on day 12, and when I crack them open they just smell like warm egg.
    The dogs have never refused them, so I guess they must taste okay!

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, I have some totally clear ones that I was thinking of just giving to the dogs.

Just wanted to make sure.

[​IMG]

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Sometimes I crack them open to see but mostly I put them out on the compost heap and they are gone in the morning [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:Melissa, you have a compost egg thief fairy! (Most likely the 4 legged kind!)

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:Melissa, you have a compost egg thief fairy! (Most likely the 4 legged kind!)

Yeah with a little black mask and very talented little hands [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I figure at least if he gets something to eat he might not be so intent on my Chicken Nuggets [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. blazensasha

blazensasha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Old Miakka,FL
    I just toss them over the fence and hope I don't hit one of my horses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by