Thrown away! Abandoned!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chichero, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chichero

Chichero Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    Driving to work this morning I saw the most pitiful group of little chickens along side of the road. It looked like a group of 5-6 very young roosters. I could only get maybe 5 feet away and they scrambled for the under growth. I could see little combs and slivers of red under the beaks. Someone dumped unwanted cockerels miles from any house that I could see. I'm going to try and locate them when I get off work, my son is canvassing the area looking now but the undergrowth and cedar is thick and I have my doubts we'll find them. MAKES ME SICK THAT PEOPLE DID THIS. I don't even know if they are okay without suplimental heat ! Area shelter didn't seem a all concerned. :mad:

2. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    That is terrible![​IMG]I hope you find them!

3. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    That's awful. We've had all sorts of things dumped at the top of our road (cockerels, baby kittens etc), but to leave something so far from anyone who can help is just awful. Hope you can help the little guys out.

CapricornFarm likes this.
  4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    dumping animals anywhere is just absurd I hope you find them to help potentially rehome them... I would also contact the local authorities or animal control to let them know... maybe this isn't an isolated issue...

5. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017

6. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    it helps to get a net with a handle on it to catch them with. But another thing you can do to is to take a rooster with you and have the rooster tied on his foot to your ankle with a piece of rope kind of like a leash. Those roosters will come out to confront the rooster that's tied to your ankle. You need to be ready with your net and a cage to put them in. If you can figure out where they are roosting at night you can also catch them that way. And that's pretty simple ....they can't see at night. Not only is it absurd but it's completely illegal and uncompassionate to do this to animals. It would have been more compassionate for them to have harvested them and made them into chicken soup . It's irresponsible animal husbandry to do this. And I hope you're going to report it to the local authorities period it's surprising how they can track people down.

7. PoultryAddict 1

PoultryAddict 1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    aww horribal.
    Why don't people just wring their necks? isnt it better than dying of exposure of preadaors?
    sick.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    can't expect humane treatment of animals when the same kind of people, dump new born babies, or try to flush down toilets, throw out windows. Some people are worse than animals - it's just sickening.

9. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    I once heard of someone who, rather than put in the effort to rehome or cull their old hens, decided to just leave the coop open every night. I managed to get the person who told me about it to collect up the two that remained by this point, but it's shocking to think of the distress that people will put animals in just because they are too lazy/squeamish/cowardly to actually do something proactive.

10. Chichero

Chichero Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    Looked everywhere i could get to and i found none of them! I am hoping someone else's picked them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by