Thrush

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have any info or ideas for how to cure thrush? I think we may be dealing with it in a baby chick.

I posted on here the other day asking if there was a tumor in our baby chick’s mouth... after further researcher I decided I thought it was canker. However, for days more yellow gunk has been coming up in this poor baby’s mouth.

The chick is about a week and a half old. We’ve started giving it ACV in the water. It acts fine, and eats and drinks, though it has fallen quite behind in the growth department compared to the other chicks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh it’s definitely not a sore, not attached in any way otherwise we would not be doing that. It’s lumps of yellow stuff, it comes up in the chicks throat and then sometimes stays in the mouth for a while until we help her get it out. We thought it was attached at first though.

Sounds like it could be a canker or wet pox.
If it's a canker:
20180713_214119.jpg

If it is wet pox there is not much you can do. Isolate the chick.
Keep her warm and dry.
Use a cotton swab to gently apply Betadine to each sore daily.

Could you post a pic?
To me it sounds more like a canker.

Ok so you can see the pictures I took in this thread I started. When I started this thread, we really thought it was a tumor. But, shortly after these pictures were taken the baby swallowed the "lump" and then more came up later that we helped it get out.

I thought canker at first, but can that keep coming up? I thought that was like a one sore type-thing. But I really don't know much about it.

The thing is, we are almost 100% certain this chick was born with whatever this is, because it was doing the gaping thing pretty much as soon as it started eating and drinking. So can chicks be born with canker? That's why I was thinking thrush.

Anyway, take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think! It's hard to tell in the pictures, but more keeps coming up (has been for over a week) it this sounds gross but it looks like creamed corn.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has anymore ideas because this chick is having a hard time swallowing due to the stuff that keeps coming up in her throat. She’s still eating and drinking but I don’t know how much longer she will for.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-kind-of-worm.1253974/

I started that thread when I had a hen cough up what looked like a worm.
I then found chunks of yellow in her throat. Ordered fish zole and Acidified Copper Sulfate. While I waited for it to arrive I kept giving her ACV and colloidal silver. I stopped the ACV and gave her some yogurt as I was thinking thrush over canker as well.
The copper sulfate will treat both caker and thrush so my plan was to use it before resorting to fish zole antibiotics. Chicks need to be at least 3 weeks old to use ACS.
I continued to use tweezers and pull gross chunks from her glottis even after the ACS treatment. Less and less was building up but every 3 days or so I’d get stuff out.
It worked well to give her some colloidal silver first then remove stuff. I also dripped some on a swab and after I got junk out I would swab around in her mouth. I would also tilt her head back and put a drip over each nare. It would run up her nose and through her sinuses but down her throat not into her lungs.

Back
Top Bottom