1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Thunder and lighting?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GUSRENTIT, Nov 29, 2011.

1. GUSRENTIT

GUSRENTIT In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    Pueblo West, Co.
    Is it true that nearby thunder and lighting, can kill chickens? Are they really that sensitive? If this is true, is there a way to protect them from this?
    Thanks,
    Gus
    PS: You guys have been GREAT!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My chickens have no reaction to thunder & lightning.

Imp

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I suppose it might possibly frighten them into running into the fence and getting trampled. But my poultry ignores thunder and lightening. It's hard to imagine poultry getting panicked by a storm.

It would take a direct lightning strike to kill a bird. Or a very nearby strike on wet ground where the electricity spreads over the surface of the ground. Or maybe a strike to a metal wire fence that the chicken was touching at the same time they were touching the ground.

I suggest that you simply put your birds into their coop during the storm and not worry about it.

4. GUSRENTIT

GUSRENTIT In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    Pueblo West, Co.
    Thanks, just that I had read that some guy down south lost like 50 chickens in one shot, from a nearby lightning strike. Cool, one less thing to worry about.
    Thanks,
    Gus

5. farmer9989

farmer9989 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    I know of lightning striking a tree 4 horses were standing under killed all of them.sorta like winning the lotto, on chances .

6. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Quote:Winning the lotto of doom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by