thunderstorm power outage with 3 day old chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmychicks79, Aug 20, 2010.

1. luvmychicks79

luvmychicks79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenleaf, WI
    We just had a thunderstorm about a half hr. ago and the power went out, my husband called the to see when the power is supposed to come back and they said not until later tonight. My chicks brooder is in the kitchen and the heat lamp, of course, went out too! Thank God it's summer, but its still only 76 degs. in our house, maybe cooler. For now I took a cleaned out milk jug and filled it with pretty warm water to set in the brooder, so they can be close to warmth. Any other suggestions? Will they be ok without 90-100deg. for a couple hrs.? Should I put a flashlight over the brooder so they can see their food and water and for comfort?

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I keep a blanket beside the brooder for just such occasions...we live in the mountains and it takes the power co. forever to get to us.

Cover the brooder with a heavy blanket. DO use the flashlight...remember, they won't eat without light. They should be alright

3. luvmychicks79

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenleaf, WI
    Thank you! I just put blankets around and flashlight over their food dish, I wish i would have tried to trap the warmth sooner! They are huddled together in the corner [​IMG] My husband gets back from milking in an hr. Do you think we should run the generator if the power doesn't come back soon? Just looked in on the chicks they are eating and drinking....that's a good sign. How long is too long without sufficient heat?

4. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    fill water botles with warm water (not to hot) and place them in the brooder for the chickss to hudle agenst (also keeping a generator a hand is a good thing. along with bater powerd mitten warmers and heater typ iteamss you dont need to plug in) good luck

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Huddling is a sign they are chilled, and chilled leads to death if not corrected soon at that age. You really need to warm them up as soon as possible. If you have a generator, by all means use it. Otherwise, keep filling jugs or jars with hot water until you can get the temp in there up to at least 95 and they stop huddling.

You probably could put them into something a lot smaller for the time being, just to warm them quickly and minimize the area you have to heat.

6. luvmychicks79

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenleaf, WI
    Thanks for the good advice! The power came back on at about 10:30 pm lastnight. All is well with the little ones [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by