Thunderstorms

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Piglet835, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    This is the first thunderstorm I've experienced since becoming a chicken momma. Everyone is about 3 months old. When the wind started to pick up tonight and the rain really started to hammer down everyone just stood outside the coop. I managed to shoo them inside with food and the help of my husband. I've closed the door so they're stuck inside as the rain pours down and the thunder and lightening are raging.
    Just wondering if their behaviour is normal? We had a light rain last Friday and they were wondering in and out. I wasn't concerned then because the rain wasn't near as heavy as it was tonight. Glad I was home to put them in but not sure if they would have went in on their own had I been at work still.
    Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's pretty normal. Young chickens don't make good decisions or know what to do in New situations. Normally an adult would show them what to do or their mom would have taken them inside. You are their mom, so it's good you got them inside.

3. jen34chickies

jen34chickies Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm glad you asked this question. My chicks are about four weeks and I was wondering the same thing.

4. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I just had the same thing happen with my babies too. It started storming out and all 18 of them were very afraid and confused. They didn't realize they were supposed to go into the coop and they all huddled in a corner and stayed there. I am deathly afraid of thunderstorms myself but I knew they wouldn't go in so there I was outside chasing them into the coop. I was a little bit worried because 11 of them are silkies and I don't want them to become sick from getting soaked. I sure hope they figure out they need to go inside next time.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yep normal. They aren't the brightest critter at times. I had to gather mine up one night in a flat out downpour. When they get older they will learn.

6. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

Thanks! I didn't expect to have to teach them things. I'm to new to teach them. Thank God I have you folks

7. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

Are these your first too? I'm glad I got mine when they were a little older for my first go

8. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

I'm glad you got your babies inside! It's amazing the personal fears we can overcome when it comes to our babies, human or otherwise. Hopefully they all are quick learners and they all go in on their own. We can't be there all the time to show them what to do. I think the wind and the suddenness of it is what caused my guys to freeze and not know what to do

9. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

I hope the learning happens sooner rather than later

10. jen34chickies

jen34chickies Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    Yes these are my first chickies. We got them at three days old. It's been a lot of fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by