Tibetan quails head swollen.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quails-101, Jan 23, 2017.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    One of my Tibetan females got picked on a little by another quail and her eye swelled almost shut and was some foam on it and I went into the quail house today and notice that her whole head swelled up she can barely see and is breathing out of her mouth because she can't breath through her nose because it is stuffed up. She is eating a little and drinking a little. And I separated her at the first glimpse of her getting picked on. What do I do

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Can we see pictures? How is it doing now? I don't have experience with this but it seems like an infection?

3. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    It is still alive and eating and drinking but it is getting worse she can't see but somehow she is drinking. I know this because I watched her drink when I refilled it.sadly I cannot take pictures I can't find my phone sorry.

4. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    raid the family medicine cabinet looking for antibiotics then research if its birds safe. Add recommended amount to water and only allow that bird to drink from the treated water (penicillin should be safe in very small doses). If there's no improvement with in 48hrs you should consider culling the bird or having someone do it for you. If the swelling is only in the eye area and not in the head then it could be a nasal/eye infection. You can research how to clear the blockage which involves removing the lump (no cutting or surgery involved)

5. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Ok thanks I will look for some. The swelling has gone down. She is still eating and drinking I have beer putting electrolytes in her water. Thanks. I will get a picture on here sometime I hope.

6. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    sounds like she might be getting better if the swelling is going down on its own. If it was a infection it probably wouldn't go down on its own.

7. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Huh I just don't know how she knows were her food and water is she can hardly see if she can see at all. But yes her head is getting better. But her eyes are still not very good.

8. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Poor thing :( glad she's improving, if just a bit

9. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Yea her mouth is better now she can close her mouth. And the swelling is going down very slowly her eyes still are almost closed. They started to open then the closed again and now when can see but not very well. She is laying eggs though. I got 2 since it happens. Poor girl.

10. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Can you look up some food you can give her that can help with swelling? I know fish has been fed through a tube I believe for some anaphylactic human patients to reduce the swelling in their airways - a lot of natural food and spices are medicinal and may help her fight the infection/swelling?

I recall reading a great site about the natural herbs you can feed your chicken flock and it was all totally backed up by science.

[​IMG]

I searched "natural antibiotics" and that's part of a list. Probably "natural antibiotics for chickens" would be a better start as I *think* chickens and quail have similar tolerances and intolerances of certain foods? For example, first of the list is garlic but I am pretty sure that's bad for chickens and would be bad for quail, so :p

Glad she's improved but I think she needs a bit of your help still :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by