TICK INVASION! Chicken to the rescue?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kjpuggles3, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Soooo I live in a heavily wooded, but cleared farm area and there are ticks GALORE! [​IMG] im worried about getting lyme disease and i just dont like having by blood sucked in general (can't imagine why) So if I get some free range chickens, will they eat them? Or are they at risk of contracting disease too? [​IMG] my poor chicks!!! They are too cute [​IMG] but anyways, what should I do? [​IMG]

ps- I LOVE THESE SMILIES! My first day at BYC and I LOVE IT [​IMG] thanks for your help!

[​IMG] YAY CHICKENS [​IMG]

-K [​IMG]

2. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    Yes, get yourself a half dozen or so birds, depending on the size of your yard, and they'll make quick work out of the ticks. Spiders, ants, grasshoppers, etc. No pesticides, nice!!

3. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Quote:Guinea hens (guinea fowl) are AWESOME at eradicating ticks. They freerange and tree roost, and are quite self-sufficient, although can be loud at times, if noise is an issue. But, they get rid of ticks like none other.

4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:Guinea hens (guinea fowl) are AWESOME at eradicating ticks. They freerange and tree roost, and are quite self-sufficient, although can be loud at times, if noise is an issue. But, they get rid of ticks like none other.

X-2 cva34

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West

X-2 cva34

They are great "watch chickens" when i was a kid sounded off when anyone came onto my PAPA's property. They started before the dog did.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    But one thing they can't see is chiggers. They ain't doing a thing for those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by