Tick Mayhem

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AltonaAcres, Apr 24, 2019.

1. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Hey guys! This is the first time I've posted something non-chicken related. Lol. Anyways, we bought a 9 week old Mini Australian Shepard from a friend, about 6 months ago. About 2 weeks ago, we were petting him when we noticed a tick clinging to his fur. After that, we began checking him and ourselves for ticks at least once daily. We found that 1st tick on his fur, then we found a tick in his ear, then we found one on the floor, one on the corner of his eye, one HUGE one on his neck, one in his dog bed, one on my bed, 3 more on our floor, another 2 in his dog bed, one on his chest, and another in his ear. Sheesh! We bought him some tick repelling chews yesterday, some tick repellant spray last week, and some topical tick treatment several days ago. Is it safe to be living with this many ticks? Will our dog be ok? Is this normal? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

2. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    I don't know enough about ticks to answer your questions; but you may want to keep your dog's ticks in a ziplock bag or something. That sounds crazy I know, but my vet reccomends it incase they get a disease. There's more to it than that, but I don't remember what.

3. cambridgezowie

cambridgezowie Chirping

Apr 28, 2010
    You can buy a pill from vet for it. Kills them as soon as they bite him.

I highly recommend it . Think its flea and tick both.
    Pretty certain.

4. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    Don't put too many different tick treatments on your dog, it can actually make them very sick (I've seen it happen when I was an assistant at a vet office). I use the stuff that goes between the shoulder blades or the chews you buy from the vet. We are heavily populated with ticks, I actually just pulled one off of me today that was attached. I've had a 100% success rate with both of the products I use, also chickens eat ticks if you let them free range in the area your dogs go. Ducks will eat ticks as well!

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Go to your local vet and ask for this (tomorrow):
    Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 8.56.18 PM.png

I'm curious...what exact stuff did you already buy?

cambridgezowie and chkva like this.
  6. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    That is the one that I use. Ticks can still bite, but will die instantly.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    The spray we have is completely natural. Only peppermint oil and some other inactive ingredients. The chews were made by a neighbors all - natural pet company, they probably aren't that potent either. The only real tick - killing thing is the liquid we got from the vet. It has permethrin and one other thing, can't remember the brand.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  8. cambridgezowie

cambridgezowie Chirping

Apr 28, 2010
    i personally wouldn’t recommend the stuff that goes on shoulders. Doesn’t work, as well as the pill.

Not trying to bash anyone just my opinion.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  9. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    I don't mean to disagree, but we have found 3 dead/dying ticks on our floor after using the shoulder blade stuff.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    The first too are probably about as good as DE is for mites on birds...worthless.
    The third might be good but the spray isn't going to last long on the dog. If you are seeing ticks now just wait...it's about to get a lot worse with the weather changing like it is.
    I highly recommend getting the dog on a monthly pill type mediation.
    Sometimes you can stretch it to every other month.

chkva likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: