Tick on my chicken?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Creationchick01, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Creationchick01

Creationchick01 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi, we have a bantam lavender Peking chicken named Pip, who is quite a timid chicken but will follow the others. Today she was quieter than normal and I discovered she had a tick under her wattles (i think thats their name) and we have gotten rid of it but her wattles have swelled up a bit and her throat has too. She's eating, though less than normal, but is there anything we need to do to help her? This is our first time with chickens so me and my parents aren't to sure what to do! :S Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think it may be better if you take your hen to a vet so he can examine her and suggest treatments. Ticks can make chickens very sick. Horrible little things. You can also post about your situation in the Emergencies section and see if anyone had a similar situation:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

What you should also do is examine all your chickens, it's suggested you wait until it's dark and look around their heads, under their wings and other places that's not heavily feathered. Treat them and their coop and run like you would for mites and lice, with a mite dust/spray. Permethrin is very good for that, if you can get some. Good luck with your girl!

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Creationchick01, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I agree with what Sumi said! Good luck to you and your birds!

4. Creationchick01

Creationchick01 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you both for the welcome! I have posted on the emergencies thread and thank you for the advice, I'll tell my parents about what you said and see what they do! Thank you again!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I agree with the others, ticks are nothing but trouble and she needs to see a vet.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi and [​IMG] hope you like it

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC

Hope your hen is doing better

9. Creationchick01

Creationchick01 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi guys, that you all for welcoming me! Pip is much better, back to her normal self but her wattle is still quite swollen, any ideas?

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by