1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

tick paralysis in dogs--She is Better!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herefordlovinglady, Jun 28, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    My step daughter came into my bedroom this morning asking me to look at her little 3 pound yorky/pom mix. The dog was walking about, stumbling, could not control her back legs. She was alert, high spirited, I noticed no pain when I examined her, only other thing was she was scratching a lot. I was worried it was a stroke from being out in the heat yesterday evening. I called the vet and he said it sounded like tick paralysis. I took her to the vet this morning and they were going to treat her for ticks. She is on the monthly flea and tick med already. They were also going to give her an anti-inflammatory/pain med in case we are dealing with a back injury.

What do y'all know about tick paralysis?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010

2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    From what I've heard, it improves rapidly once the tick has been removed. Did you look all over for a tick still on her?

3. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    We checked her for ticks, but could not see any. she is very hairy and we also have those tiny tiny ticks here. I am googling it now to learn more about it. Never heard of it before, kind of scared me. I hope it is tick paralysis, if it has such a quick recovery.

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Crowing

Apr 4, 2010
    get her shaved to see

5. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Hope she gets better! [​IMG]

6. verthandi

verthandi Songster

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Any chance your vet is talking about Lyme disease from a tick? The symptoms can show up 2 months or later after they have had the tick bite them. You most likely would not find a tick unless you are checking daily. Arthritis is one of the later symptoms. If you vet pulled blood work it may show exposure, but it is difficult to know when it occurred.

7. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Well y'all it must not be Tick Paralysis. She had the tick bath yesterday morning, and no signs of ticks on her. They did an x-ray today and showed no signs of trauma to her spine. She is only 3.7 pounds. To me it seems like she has had a stroke of some sort. She looks and acts drunk. I just don't know what to do. The vet said to wait a few days to see if she improves, but what then? It is so sad watching her. She acts like there is nothing wrong, no pain or anything except the instability.[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

How does heat stroke effect dogs?

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:It does not sound like heat stroke to me. How old is your dog?

Signs of heat exhaustion include heavy panting, hyperventilation (deep breathing), increased salivation early then dry gums as the heat prostration progresses, weakness, confusion or inattention, vomiting or diarrhea and sometimes bleeding. As the condition progresses towards heat prostration or heat stroke there may be obvious paleness or graying to the gums, shallowing of the breathing efforts and eventually slowed or absent breathing efforts, vomiting and diarrhea that may be bloody and finally seizures or coma. Temperatures above 105 degrees Fahrenheit are dangerous,​

9. verthandi

verthandi Songster

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Does her head also tilt to one side?

10. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Poor baby! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by