Tick Removal

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Stacykins, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Weird thing to ask, I know. What is the best way to go about removing a tick in a difficult spot? I had one in the middle of my back. I can see it in a mirror and it is indeed a tick, but no way I could manipulate tweezers to get it! I know the best method is to get tweezers, grab it as close to the mouthparts as possible without squeezing the body, and gently tug until it is removed with mouthparts intact. BUT, that only helps if you are doing it for someone else, or it isn't in a difficult place. I live alone, and just moved to this area so I don't really know anyone yet. Short of letting my chickens peck it off [​IMG] I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I think!

2. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    What about trying to scrape it off with a credit card?

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Can you reach it with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol?

4. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Yep, I can reach it, just am not dexterous enough to grasp it. Would I use rubbing alcohol or something like whiskey?

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Vicks vapor rub or vasoline. If you can get a big glob on there, it will sufficate and come off easily. I've used this method to get them off my daughter...her doctor suggested it.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I would use rubbing alcohol and try to leave it covered as long as you can, several minutes if possible. It probably wont fall off immediately but should soon.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I've heard of that method, Steve. Know a couple of oldtimers that
    swear by it.

Ticks are fairly easy to get drunk...usually a couple of bottles should do it.
    BUT...rememeber, if you have more that one tick, you may need a few more
    bottles.

9. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Certainly gave me a good laugh and a reason to drink a shot, but the rubbing alcohol made it detatch itself! I don't think my liver would like me if I drank an entire bottle of booze [​IMG] It was thankfully just a female wood tick, so no worries about lyme disease with that one.

Thanks so much, all [​IMG]

10. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Quote:Drink the whiskey and when the tick gets drunk enough it will fall off. May take couple days but it's the weekend after all. [​IMG]

Steve

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by