Ticked off Neighbors!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BloominOrchid, Aug 15, 2010.

1. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Ok just need to vent before I [​IMG] a neighbor!
    So I have these neighbors who are "city folk" Not to mention a bit odd in many ways but thats besides the point. Were in the burbs and chickens ARE allowed.
    So I have my chickens free roam in my back yard. all fenced in 6 ft fence, however its shadow box on their side (their fence) and the 4 chicks (3 weeks old) would go thru the fence and wander. Yes I know they shouldnt but they did. So I catch the 18 yr old boy kicking at and stomping near my chicks! [​IMG]
    So I start blocking the ways the chicks gained access to their yard. The boy is now banging on my door. saying the chicks have been in his yard again 3 times today and hes getting sick of it. really? They are chicks what are they hurting in your over grown back yard you never use except to take your dog out for 40 seconds to crap. Now suddenly your using your yard 3 times today? If anything they would improve that yard by eating some of the over growth. They have lived there for 4 yrs now and NEVER use the yard. Not that my chicks should be in their yard. But there is NOTHING they can hurt. [​IMG]
    So I tell him I will take care of it and to please not traumatize my chickens they had been through enough. ( raccoon attack 2 days prior killing off half my flock)
    So I spend the next day putting hardware ire all along the fence to keep my chicks in my yard. So all had been quiet...Until my roosters started crowing!
    Now the sister is yelling out the window curse words at the roos. This is oh lunch time not 5 am! Mind you I have 5 kids ages 13 to 1 1/2 not what they need to hear. Besides do ya really think a roo is gonna listen?? Nope. So tonight Ill bring my roosters in so they dont crow to early. And Im looking to rehome them. Id cull them but they are banties and silkies so not my idea of chicken dinner. I had them up for auction here, no luck, I tried craigs list twice (both times they were flagged & taken down) [​IMG] Who knows why. But Ill keep looking. Just needed to vent! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would simply say that if your neighbors are close and the roos are disturbing their peace, we all need to be good chicken neighbors and rehome the roos.

One of the lunch ladies at my daughters school lives kitty corner across the street from us. Last week at lunch, she told my daughter...

"I just adore your rooster crowing in the morning, it soothes my soul".

We could all wish for neighbors like that.

3. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I just tell my neighbors,I don't complain about your dogs barking at all hours or eating my garbage,poopin on my lawn,so ........... off a cliff.

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I got a crappy neighbor too. She thinks she knows it all and what she doesn't know she makes up... catches every new person first and recruits them with her stories. By the time they learn the truth it's too late. She has their number and usually a spare key because she just has to be the housesitter for everyone (not for me!). I'm off track but I just wanted to say that neighbors suck. I feel for you.

On a side note: if your ad on craigslist was for "free rooster to good home" or something of the like... it is against their rules. No giving away pets. You have to charge a dollar and it won't be flagged. [​IMG]

5. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I know Im working on rehoming them, as I knew I would when I got the chickens in the first place.
    Just erks me they way they act. I mean come on now, there is a car alarm place on the corner, so car alarms go off all day. Hosp 4 blocks from here, so you get all that noise not to mention the barking dogs in the neighborhood and at their house. I cant even walk out side with out it barking and Im not cursing at it.
    maybe Ill invent crow no more for roos....[​IMG]

6. grendel

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Besides why do you have to get rid of something that makes you happy,if it is legal in your hood then...stop trying to be a peacemaker and stand up for your rights(excuse my French) chicken lovers must unite

7. grendel

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Ohh here I go....Kill or stress mode..haha

8. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Quote:I had them listed as $5 each so they didnt get eaten by some ones gator (yes philli people keep gators for some crazy reason!)
    So Im still at a loss of why they got flagged...even had them in farm & garden. [​IMG]

9. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:My neighbors used to get in crowing contests with him! One is an ER doctor and has odd hours. When she left in the morning and heard him, she'd crow back and forth with him... I'd be the one wanting to shout "shut-up!"

Sadly, I had to re-home him due to aggression problems.

Sorry about your silly neighbors, BloominOrchid. Of course, I'm all for keeping the peace, like Mahonri.

10. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    BloominOrchid, is something missing from your story? You mention the children's complaints but what did the parents say when you discussed this with them? Presumably it is they who decide what's a nuisance in the neighbourhood, not the teenage offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by