Ticks and Firewood...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
Who'da thunk it?

Since we've been using the fireplace at night to heat, we've been bombarded with ticks in the house.

First, we began seeing them on our dog. We thought he was bringing them in from outside.

Then, I finally put 2 and 2 together and figured out where the %&$@&% things were coming from after I put some more wood on the fire and came away with a tick on my leg and on my night gown.

Today, there was one imbedded in my little boy's head and when I stripped him down for his bath, he had one crawling on him.

I finally get the kids down for bed and sit down to catch up on some TV, and look down to see one crawling on the dog.

barnie.gif

The dog is always laying right in front of the fireplace, so he's getting a lot of them, but sheesh...

Now, we really need to use the fireplace to keep the heating bills down. I've got 8 full cord sitting out there that we've busted our behinds splitting and clearing!!

Does anyone have ANY ideas on how the heck we can combat this?

Thanks-
Em

Well, I never thought of that.

The bark comes away fairly easy, so maybe I'll just have to have a day of knocking of bark and restacking.

I'm hoping it snaps cold soon and knocks the little crappers off.

I **HATE** ticks. Seriously, what purpose do they even serve on this planet?

Em

Well, we're tick central up here.

They aren't as bad as they were when we were clearing the place to get the house put up, but you still have to watch yourself in the Spring.

I've got the creepy crawlies now.

sad.png

Em

raise guineas loose in the house?
big_smile.png

man, that is a bummer! i have never experienced this happening, but we did get fleas once from a load of wood! who'd a thunk it. i about lost my mind. never had fleas before that and it nearly put me in a tizzy, seeing bugs on my cats. i cannot imagine your situation with your child! aggh.

blessings for a bug free home!

I'd be looking forward to a nice freeze outside! Can you keep the wood outdoors for now, until you need it? We used to heat with wood, too, so I know what it's like to want to have a nice big stack indoors, but I think that will have to wait until after you get a freeze. If you only bring it in as you are ready to put it on the fire, that should mostly get you by, until you get a freeze. Or maybe only have a couple of extra pieces inside, in a sealed trash bag?

Yuck! I feel bad for you, that's for sure!

Anyway you can get your chickens back by the firewood? Mine LOVE ticks. They must be extra tasty. We had a serious problem with them until I got the chickens. Haven't seen one since. YUMMY!

Good luck. Ticks completely ook me out. Blech!

Back
Top Bottom