Ticks *shudder*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkieluver_07, Oct 11, 2009.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    So I was on BYC this morning and felt something crawling on me. I see a deer tick on my wrist!!!! It's thirty eight degrees and there's still ticks! [​IMG] I hate ticks and took the longest shower of my entire life because I was afraid there are more on me. Then I made my mom check my head for attached ticks. [​IMG]

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yuck! [​IMG] I do the same thing!

Sounds like you need GUINEAS!!! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Eeew, I don't like ticks. Dey so cweepy.

4. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate ticks. Always have, all my life. Now I am always checking everyone in the family and even the cats because of lyme disease. My mother and my oldest son both had lyme disease. Ticks are around all year, just they hunker down on cold days, but if you have a mild day in the winter-watch out! My sons friend had it around Christmas time one year(lyme disease).

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! They were thicker than tits on a sow's belly in the spring, but I haven't seen one on any of my animals or myself for the past 8 weeks or so. Now fleas we have in abundance still...waiting for those to freeze off or whatever they do...

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yup! They never seem to go away up here! It seems they are getting worse too.. [​IMG]

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We don't seem to have "regular" ticks around here. ONLY deer ticks. I had one IN my side last year. Now that freaked me out! I did not get sick from it, thank God. But my DH had to dig to get it all out.

The Dr's office said to put triple antibiotic ointment on it and cover it with a bandaid and watch. It could take up to a month before signs appear. They said in has to be enbedded for about 24 hours for the fluid exchange to happen. And that's what makes you sick. It was the longest wait of my life. Every day I would check for a bulleye. And even after a month.....yuck. I still get shivers. And it itched for months!

8. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Well, since it has been below freezing for a handfull of nights now...

"Ding dong, the ticks are dead! Which 'ol ticks? ALL the ticks! Ding dong, the NASTY ticks are dead!!!"

[​IMG]

9. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Seriously.....get guineas! I havnt seen a tick all year and I only have three guineas on the prowl...but also have about 30ish free range chickens......

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My DH had Lyme almost a fatal case of it - so , me no like ticks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by