1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Ticks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stephaaras, Oct 15, 2016.

1. stephaaras

stephaaras Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    New York
    Will ducks eat ticks, or other insects from the yard? I have read some places that they will, but other places I have read they won't... So from personal experience, are they any help in ridding your yard of ticks?
    I know that guinea hens are good for insect control, but I have no interest in raising them. I had ducks growing up, and am interested in possibly getting back into them - however, the property I have just moved to appears to have a lot more ticks than where I have previously lived. I don't want to spray or sprinkle my yard with chemicals as I have dogs who are always outdoors, so if ducks are an option to rid my yard of ticks I think I may reintroduce them to my property sooner than planned.

If ducks will eat ticks, which breed would be the best for this? I have heard Pekins will, but I'm not sure if this is true?
    Thank you.

2. backyardfarmer6

backyardfarmer6 New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    My friend has muscovy ducks and tells me they get rid of ticks well.

3. stephaaras

stephaaras Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    New York
    Thank you, I will look into them.
    If it doesn't end up working out I may get both guineas and ducks. At least this way I'll still get to have my ducks.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I never heard of Ducks eating Ticks? Other bugs, slugs, wasps and frogs...The Guineas are great bug eaters...

5. stephaaras

stephaaras Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    New York
    That seems to be what I hear most. I did more research on muscovies with ticks, and I have seen mixed reviews about them eating them. I have seen that they will, but not in a way that is effective to actually get rid of them.
    I will probably end up picking up a few guineas in this case, because I'd rather have a tick free yard for my dogs.
    This way I can go with a different breed of ducks anyway, as I prefer the Campbell's.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Good thread guys. What about flys? Are muscovys good for those too? I've heard they are...

7. stephaaras

stephaaras Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    New York
    I am almost 100% certain that they will indeed eat flies. The ducks I owned did, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't exclusive to their breed.

8. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    if you like ducks raise them first, guineas need a dedicated owner, raise them if the ducks don't work.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  9. stephaaras

stephaaras Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    New York
    I have actually decided on chickens after tons of research. I wanted a change of pace. I would have been dedicated to guineas if I had chosen them, but the interest just wasn't really there.
    I have decided chickens because I know they will eat ticks, and I would also like fresh eggs.
    I will probably eventually go back to ducks though.

10. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri

now which breed? and which variety within the breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by