Ticks!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Maureen&chickens, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    Is it just my dog or is tick season running rampant this year?! We returned from a Florida vacation 2 weeks ago and since then have found at least 7 ticks. The first one or two we thought came from hiking in the woods with the dog sitter but as they've continued I think she must be picking them up in the yard. Even my indoor cat had one tonight! (most likely from the dog.) She's 3 years old and she's NEVER had this many ticks before. She's also on Revolution, which my DH has decided doesn't work. Is anyone else having tick problems? Should I be worried about the chickens?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    we had a lot of ticks in the spring, but haven't seen any in a couple of months. The fleas are terrible here right now though.

i don't know if ticks bother chickens or not, maybe someone else can answer that.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

They are bad in Eastern NC in the spring and early summer, once it dries out in the summer they aren't nearly as bad. We use frontline when they are really bad but it doesn't work for the month it says on the lable, it's more like 2 weeks.

For the fleas the best thing we have ever used is

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

It really works like they claim it does I was amazed.

Steve in NC

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Chickens EAT ticks, the chickens at our house are a form of pest control for ticks - ever since my husband had lyme, we take no chances

As for Revolution - IT IS NOT for killing ticks - check with your vet, Frontline will kill ticks and eggs

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    we had them bad in the early summer but not now...the should not hurt the chickens because if they get to close to a chicken they will get eaten. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by