Tidy cats litter!?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gvnam, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I need something for me to store feed in and I happen across 2 tidy cat bins at a neighbors. I am wondering if I could use them as feed bins. They should work great! But it's the smell that's bothering me. They have a really strong clean smell about them. I have cleaned them out twice now and reduced the smell by a LOT. Any suggestions/input?

Thanks!!

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Have you tried spraying them with vinegar? It seems to neutralize smells fairly well!

3. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I would also try stuffing them with newspaper, closing them for a day or two, then the smell should be absorbed into the newsprint. Works well for strong food odors in Tupperware:)

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I fill mine with baking soda water for a couple of days and sit them in the sun. It gets the odor out and apparently any lingering chemicals, because I have been using them for a while with no problems. I make feeders, bantum nest boxes, and transport cages out of them. The square shape makes them awesome for such projects.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I love these buckets. [​IMG] They come in handy for so many things. [​IMG] I wish I had more.

6. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Put some chucks of REAL charcoal made from wood, not the kind that's formed into briquettes That's all I use in my fridge and freezer now. Works much better at absorbing odors than baking soda..

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Quote:How the heck do you make a transport cage out of them?

[​IMG]

8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:How the heck do you make a transport cage out of them?

[​IMG]

I jigsaw the center of the large part of the lid out, leaving enough to tap small holes for stay ties, then stay tie hardware cloth into the opening. I cut two "windows" into the two large opposing sides high enough to leave a nice rim around the bottom to hold in bedding, then zip tie hardware cloth over these as well. I use a bit of woven webbing from an old leash, lead, halter, whatever, to make a handle and attach this to one side with nuts, bolts, and washers. The lid is the front, or you can stand it up on its bottom for a bantam or young bird, in which case you can use the bucket handle as a carrier handle. They aren't exactly Paris fashion, but they work quite well.

9. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    Quote:Wow! That's a GREAT idea![​IMG]

10. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Anybody have images of things they use them for? My neighbor has 20+ cats and always has them sitting out for trash. I'm not a huge fan of cats but at least they have something I want [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by