Tiger Lillies and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilyD, Apr 20, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay I just thought of a possible problem to the placement of my coop. There are tiger lillies that are there and were planted by the previous owner. Will the chickens try to eat them and will the lillies make them sick?

2. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    My chickens eat everything. DH let 3 out yesterday and they got in my strawberry box and had a ball. [​IMG] I haven't seen them after my lilies, but in the coup? Bet they do. Don't think it will make them sick, but not sure. Maybe a more experienced chicken keeper can help.

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My coop will be in a fenced in area but the previous owner had a long row of lillies planted there. I will try and dig them up but wasn't sure if they would make the chickens sick. They will have a large area outdoors and this is only a small part of it but I wanted to see if anyone had had problems with this or if I was worrying unnecessarily.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Thank you it was extremely helpful. The kind that I have is not poisonous to them but there are a few other plants in that area that I need to move to make their outdoor pen safe for them. I don't really need to save the lillies as I have them in quite a few other areas so I am not worried about them killing them if they dig them up. I was only worried that if one of them got curious and tried to eat them that it might hurt them. My coop is going up this week and they arrive from Welp on the 29th I can't wait. [​IMG]

6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow dawg - thanks so much for posting that link, I have SO many plants/bushes in my yard that are on that list! [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens won't eat most poisonous plants unless they have no other greens available to them. I have several poisonous plants on my property and the chickens avoid them all. If these plants were in the run then I might be worried about them getting eaten, but if chickens are free-ranging they may take a peck or two of toxic plants, but then they quickly move on to something better. Chickens seem to instinctively avoid toxic stuff for the most part. Note I said "for the most part". Chickens can also be idiots on occasion, too, which is why I keep toxic plants out of their run.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by