tight fit in coop

jgaepi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
davis, ca
So I have seen a mixed bag of info on the coop size. I bought a coop that is about 32 inches X 32 inches by about 4ft high not including the two attached laying boxes. Not too big but advertised as perfect for 3 birds. Well I want to stuff that sucker with 4 birds. But I have seen info on 4sqft per bird inside the coop. Well at that rate I probably have space for 2-3 birds. Any advice?

I would upload a photo of it but I don't know how.

Do they have a safe run area? If so they may only sleep in the coop and spend the rest of the time in the run. They seem to enjoy being squished tight when they sleep.

Quote:
does it look something like this ?

111392_11-11-11_031.jpg

you can keep 8 or so if they are only in at night

before i got an account on this website i didnt no anything about coop size and i baught this one for 6-9 chickens and i put nine chickens in it it was really small, use would hate me so im not going to tell you the size, but now its my broody coop instead
smile.png

Last edited:
As a 'sleeping, egg laying' area you might get away with 4 birds in that coop if you have a large run or free range. The problems with a small coop is that when confined and boredom sets in, the little velociraptors start killing one another.
hide.gif

I seemed to have way too much trouble when I over crowded my chickens. It stresses them out a little bit and they get kind of cranky...picking feathers, bullying, etc. There are some days that I can't let the chickens out of the coop (cold weather, extremely windy, other people's hunting dogs around for pheasant hunting, etc) and then I am glad that they have ample space in the coop. I would consider an addition on your present coop (don't forget about chicken math
lol.png
)

I live in USDA Zone 9B. Northern California. Some chilly nights but normal winter days in the high 40s low 50s. No snow. I do need to put in another perch, it only has one. I need to take dimensions again inside but it isn't huge. I am building a run that will be around 100sqft, 6ft tall. They will spend all day outside.

I originally was thinking about this because I am going to start with 5 chicks and then when they are grown, give one away. But then I was tempted to keep all 5. But I guess not now.

Back
Top Bottom